Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I'm doing this with Attack On Titan Season 2 (for loud fanboy repellant reasons), and I've learned that I feel really weird about being up to date. :lol:

I tried to go through Zaregoto similarly, but waiting for a new episode every month is something I can't be arsed to do. So paradoxically, I'm waiting EVEN LONGER for a binging. :lol:

2. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

So I haven't had my computer in a while due to moving circumstances, which has left me reading a lot more manga. For starters, finally read the original manga for Dragon Ball Z. It's amazing how Toriyama was able to fit this epic story in such a condensed format. You feel like you're still experiencing the long epic ness of the anime, but in an afternoon break rather than a huge marathon. Of course the illustrations are also fantastic, especially when he gets to draw some kind of vehicle or contraption, but I think Toei did a good job back in the day keeping his vision.

I also got the first issue of Super, which just came out here. I was shocked they entirely skipped the Frieza arc! It moves so fast, and covers the beginning all the way to Son's fight with Frost.

Now I'm looking for the rest of the JoJo books(the soft backs, not the new fancy hard cover issues), and Hunter X Hunter, since I saw they're continuing that series later this month in Japan.

Are there any good comfy summer shows coming out? I have some stuff lined up like Yuyushiki and Mitsudomoe.

3. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

On June 9, 2016, I began watching Naruto. Two nights ago on June 4, 2017, I finished watching Naruto. All 220 episodes of the original series, all 500 episodes of Naruto: Shippuden, all 14 OVAs, and all 11 movies spanning across both series. Fifteen years of anime crammed into a single year. (Granted, I did take a break for a few months and instead spent my nights watching a few other anime series that held my interest.)

I think I might cry. I don't even know what to do with myself now. I completed such an immense undertaking in watching the whole story of Naruto from start to finish. (Everything included - even all of the filler.)

I guess it is time to start keeping up with the new episodes of the Boruto spin-off series as it continues the franchise.

I'm quoting my original post from a year ago below.

russmuller likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

I never seem to make it past the beginning of the shippuden era, which from what I've heard is when it actually gets good. If you want a similar vast undertaking there's always bleach lol

5. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

Alberto7 likes this.
  6. Bloody_Inferno

:yesway:

Alberto7 likes this.
  7. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Haha.......no. Not a fan of the trendy, overly hyped, "newbie" stuff like Bleach or One Piece.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

Bleach is actually pretty good for the first couple of seasons. YuYu Hakusho would be another good choice if you haven't already seen it.

10. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

So after hearing that the last episode of Attack on Titan season 2 had already aired, I went ahead and re-watched the last one of the first season, (because I remembered zero things from it) and then proceeded to watch the second.

Holy cow, I was not expecting it to be this good. I liked the first season, but this one, even at just 12 episodes, is so much better on every front. (Save perhaps the art/animation, which remains mostly the same, although with a touch more CG effects.) I've also had the privilege of avoiding almost all spoilers from the manga, so I've been able to enjoy it in full. I really don't want to wait any longer for season 3 in 2018!

Manga spoiler I did learn about:
    That Commander Erwin dies... but I really don't care that much. :lol:

Really glad I decided to watch this. I think I'd give it a solid 9/10.

russmuller likes this.
  11. Bloody_Inferno

Odd, it didn't feel like a 'last episode of the season' to me. If that's the case, that's a hell of a cliffhanger. :lol:

12. Alberto7

^ :rofl: Yeah, it's only 12 episodes long. So, #37 Scream is the last episode. Considering the manga isn't over yet and that, despite having arcs, it is mostly one continuous story, Season 3 is bound to end in an awful cliffhanger too. :lol: With that said, if subsequent seasons are as good as season 2, then I really don't mind the wait.

13. Bloody_Inferno

Honestly, I much prefer that. Keeps the story cohesive, the pace up, and tension flow at an all time high. Even during the times where the story slows down to give the viewer and the characters a breather (for some development), the dire and unsettling atmosphere still maintains the urgency. That may just be why I didn't feel 'Scream' as the season finale... because I didn't want it to end. I'm actually glad I kept up to date this time around.

Also, thanks to the short season duration, I'm glad for no clip shows. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Alberto7 likes this.
  14. Bloody_Inferno

After the void that AOT season 2 has left, I needed to jump into a fresh new series. Well the lady in the far right of my avatar just had her birthday and told all her fans to watch the premier of new a particular series. I was happy to oblige. :lol:

[​IMG]

...anyway...

Katsugeki!/Touken Ranbu is a brand new ufotable series, that's a spin off of another series Touken Ranbu Hanamaru (not by ufotable), both based on a free-to-play card browser game called Touken Ranbu, and this is a long sentence to type and I've typed Touken Ranbu a lot. This new series, unlike it's predecessors is set deep in the Edo period... you know what, it's too confusing. I might just binge watch the Hanamaru series before Katsugeki ep 2 so I get a better gist of it. :lol: Having said that, it's by ufotable so it looks gorgeous and the characters are well designed (in the lines of God Eater/Tales of Zestiria in samurai gear).

Alberto7 likes this.
  15. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

Technically not a manga, but I've recently become obsessed with the Marvel series Gwenpool, which is illustrated by two Japanese art graduates. I don't read any comic books except for this one(although that might change very soon), so there must be some kind of familiar sensibility that drew me in.

The manga industry, at least in America, could learn something from the comic book industry. It's fun to go in a shop and walk out with a handful of issues for a couple of bucks, rather than paying like $10-20 for some compilation of 4 panels. That's why most manga readers just stick to online, but comic guys will go out on pilgrimages to build their collection. Tangibility creates a more social culture in anything if you ask me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  16. Bloody_Inferno

Also may as well throw this hunk of meat out to the wolves...

Before you all weeb out and mercilessly condemn this to the lowest bowels of hell (if you haven't done so already), can we at least agree that casting Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is a stroke of perfection? :rofl:

Alberto7 likes this.
  17. Alberto7

I haven't had internet since I moved into my new place 6 days ago, and won't have any for another 4... so I've been re-watching anime I have on my harddrive.

I am of firm belief that Carnival Phantasm is the greatest anime of all time. Granted, the pre-requisites to getting full enjoyment out of it are quite daunting, but it is so worth it. I'd do all of Fate and all that Tsukihime/Melty Blood research all over again just to enjoy Carnival Phantasm.

18. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

Started rewatching Barakamon. Nothing too special, but it's my feel-good summer anime. :cool:

19. Alberto7

Barakamon is life. It's one of my favorite slice of life animes. It's one the cutest and most endearing things ever. Also quite relatable for most artists, I find.

I'm finally watching Watamote, and just 3 episodes in and I already almost wish I hadn't started watching. This shit's all kinds of cringy and depressing. Jesus. It's worth it just for that badass OP though!

Also, started watching Fate/Apocrypha and KWHTNDIE9TJAPEJE all of my Fate nerd-strings are being struck hard here.

Next step is to watch Katsugeki! I'm looking forward to that once my wifi is back on at home.

20. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I dunno if this counts, cause this is an (I believe) American production, but, did anyone catch the Castlevania series on Netflix?

I absolutely loved it. The animation, the dialogue, the characters, the fact that they seem to be getting everything right in terms of story, and I'm going to hate waiting so long for the next batch of episodes.
    Only complaints I've got:
    1. The music could be better- it's friggin Casltevania, dude c'mon...
    2. Though I appreciate the brutality, some bits were a tad unnecessary- without wishing to spoil anything: it makes sense for beasts literally dredged up from Hell to cause that level of viscera, but... with the human characters, I can't help but feel it's a little over-the-top.