Angra searching for a new guitarist

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Zado, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Intreview: Angra’s Rafael Bittencourt Talks New Album Concept and Bandmate Joining Megadeth - Hard Rock & Heavy Metal News | Music Videos |Golden Gods Awards | revolvermag.com

Ehw,this is just sad,but not unexpected for the most part....

2. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

A sub for Kiko... not an easy find, I'll say that much.

3. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Considering that Angra makes vastly superior music to anything Megadeth has released this millennium, this makes me sad.

4. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Honestly...LOL at Rafael.
    I always said that Rafael is a guitarist great enough to be the only lead guitarist in 85% of the World's band, though replacing Kiko is next to impossible.
    I think it would be better for Angra to slow down their activity according to Megadeth's plans and wait for Kiko to be fired rather than searching someone else.
    The fans wouldn't be happy about Kiko being fired.

5. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Funny, I though the same thing. Won't take longer than 3 years if we follow Megadaves logic.

6. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

How many amazing guitarist are going to quit their respectful bands to join the Dave Mustaine bore-fest solo, project?

I get that it's a much larger paycheck, but it's still a huge shame. So he will stick around for two albums top, and then realize his sanity and happiness and creative output is worth much more than the money he makes to put up with Dave. Seems to be the trend... :lol:

7. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

Ha ha...man, you guys are funny!

Don't you think that after a lifetime of playing music for your bread, you wouldn't feel great finally getting paid a bunch from nailing a high-profile metal gig, even for a relatively short time? Finally headlining huge places and bangin' hotels and busses and meals and parties, recognition in the guitar world, endorsements, jamming on stage with metallica, etc etc...oh, and the severely increased pay!

I like how you guys could always theoretically walk away from an extremely better job situation because you don't like the music anymore...no, actually you advise others that THEY should do this!

I'm sure their families would think that's wise.

8. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Bumping this in light of their incoming release on February 16th called "ØMNI". I was exited, but those two singles are really weak to my ears.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

^ To be honest, those tracks sound like standard fare for Angra. Middle of the road power metal with nice leads.

Razerjack and Descent like this.
  10. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Sadly, as soon as Aqua came out, I knew that the Angra I loved was done.

11. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Frankly, even though I consider Arising Thunder or The Voice Commanding You easy singles, they still fares better than either of these twos to me. Those are not only generic but don't really sound like Angra to my ears. It could've been any band.
    Ditto. Secret Garden is a shift in direction and genres and has some nice moments... well if you could hear Andreoli's bass lines more often. He really brings life to songs. I didn't enjoy the album much however.

12. IGC

IGC OCDG

Saw these guys bout 17 years ago at a tiny place in lorain ohio called flying machine (closed now) with a few other really good foreign metal bands. There was literally im guessing like 20 people at the most including all the bands in the whole place. Glad to see him rise to the top.

13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Aren't Angra fairly big in Brazil? Although I guess no matter how big Angra is in their native land, Megadeth is bigger, well, everywhere. I just worry because I was a big fan of Chris Broderick before he joined Megadeth, was excited when joined... Then felt like he didn't really add anything to the band (not his fault, really) and wish he went back to Jag Panzer, or did something with Jeff Loomis again (he practically felt like a member of Nevermore).

Basically, I'm now fearing the same thing with Kiko. Good for Kiko for getting a high profile gig, he's VERY deserving of it, but given Dave's track record with fellow band members...
    Side note, Angra's Wikipedia has Kiko as merely on hiatus, guess that needs to be updated?

Anyway, I heard "Traveller in Time" the other day and thought it was cool, and I just got the Apple Music alert saying ØMNI was available, so I'll likely it out later. I really didn't listen to much from Aqua onward, but man, Temple of Shadows and Aurora Consergens were my JAM.

14. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Kiko has a way more colourful playing style than Broderick, which has probably reminded Mustaine of Friedman despite the three of them (Broderick, Loureiro and Marty) having very different styles. That said, when I listened to Dystopia I couldn't figure out who was playing which solos. Granted I didn't gel much with the record either and Mustaine had written most of it before Kiko joined anyway.
    At least Mustaine didn't fire the last ones who left. :lol: And he's indeed officially on hiatus rather than gone. Technically he only has a guest solo on the new record.
    Considering there was exactly one album after Aqua... :lol: As I wrote before, Secret Garden was a (slight) departure from their usual style.

15. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Don't care about Angra at all. Kiko found a better paying gig and stuck with it, this is about it. Having to deal with Mustaine can;t be easy, so he's getting a well deserved hazard pay :)

16. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Angra is, well, boring these days, and a shadow of what they once were. Kiko was really the last reason to listen, and replacing him is going to be damn near impossible...

Rafael should just start a new band with Matos.

17. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

To be honest, André Matos is even more washed out than Angra itself. :lol: Unfortunately, he's been since long a shell of his former self.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Razerjack and Xaios like this.
  18. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Well, production wise it sounded exactly like I expected it to sound from the YouTube extracts: the complete lack of bass besides its attack generally means that it's very compressed. And very obviously, the end result confirms it: the album is very compressed and clipping left and right on the top of that. Reminds me of the first time I listened to Dream Theater's self-titled; except it's unlikely that there's going to be a kind soul to downmix a 5.1 version to stereo to make it tolerable... or a miracle Guitar Hero version.

As for the musicianship and writing, it's not bad but feels that for the most part, aside from a few moments many songs could've been written by an average Speed/Symphonic Metal band. And for sure, the portion of Symphonic Metal introduced with "Secret Garden" rose. Still has some of the Angra/Brazillian mark on the album, especially on Caveman that's... halfway through the album. Too bad the very generic Metal guitar sound doesn't help its cause and makes a lot of song sound sound like low string chugging up the wazoo with production to match... even if it's not low strong chugging up the wazoo. Not that you'll find a lot of intricate and tricky riffing with frequent string changes/skipping anyway.

Not a bad album, for better or worse the typical Angra character has been toned further down with this release. For better or worse, Angra has ever so slightly but very noticeably changed its genre. I do strongly believe the choices in production, especially compression and guitar sounds didn't help; neither did the rhythmic structure, the way certain beats were or weren't accentuated. For what is worth, the Japanese bonus track is a new rendition of Z.I.T.O. from the album "Holy Land". Have fun comparing it to the original.

Sounds like generic Power/Symphonic Metal production alright.

19. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Seems like it's the plight of every popular Power Metal band that they inevitably turn into a Symphonic Metal band these days.

IGC likes this.
  20. IGC

IGC OCDG

Probably because that approach means a greater chance at making money, put out a Christmas metal album etc.