AMT ss20 vs ss11b for modern deathmetal???

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Its a bit confusing, are the ss20 & ss11B essentially the same?
    on the AMT site they compare the ss20 to the (older lower gain) ss11 by saying.....

((( "the SS-20 is the more aggressive “METAL” pedal.")))

Ok thats fine, so the ss20 is their highgain metal pedal. Which leads us to the ss11B, where they say....

((( "The SS-11B Modern version is designed to cover the sounds of today’s high gain tube amplifiers. the SS-11B is a rock-metal monster!" )))

So BOTH are AMT' answer to a "metal" pedal. So do they share the same base tone and each pedal simply has different features? Or do they sound different? And how?

2. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix.

The SS-11 is designed to sound more like a 70s or 80s cranked tube amp vs the SS-20. It has less gain on tap and is voiced differently than the SS-20. For death metal I would have to go with the SS-20 for sure. (SS-11 uses a pair of tubes to generate distortion, whereas the SS-20 only uses one tube.)

USMarine75 likes this.
  3. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

But im talking about the ss11B not the regular ss11.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Nah, they sound somewhat different. This video shows that.

Judging by the clips, the SS20 is smoother and has a stiffer feel. The SS11B has some sag to it, but a crunchier, bitier sound.

The SS11B has a Mesa-ish feel to it, while the SS20 reminds me of the higher-end Engls.

5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Sounds like i might be more into the ss11B.

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Yeah but it sounds different when you play in Russian. I'd need to see a video of it played in American first.

[​IMG]

7. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

Check out the ss33 bulava pedal too its the solid state metal monster of Amt's line

8. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I've used both (actually all 3 including the SS-30), and really liked them all, but I don't play death metal. As mentioned, the 11b is crunchier and looser, the 20 is smoother and tighter. I like the 20 a little better, but the 11 is more versatile, mostly since it has separate volume controls on the crunch and lead channels. They both also take boost pedals really well, they are basically the front end of a tube amp in a pedal.

I wouldn't write off the 30 either, it sounds great too, kinda in between the 2, but doesn't sound exactly like either. It's a little tighter than the 11b, not quite as smooth as the 20.

9. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Highgain tube amps tend to have a lot of "punch/grunt/kick" sorta thing going on. Which is best for this ?
    Also are those your personal videos?

10. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

No, not my videos, just a quick youtube search. It's different people in them, and my cats have fur.

I generally think of "punch/grunt/kick" as more related to the power amp and speakers/cabs. So, I would have to say, they all can, depends on what you are running them through. FWIW, I have an ISP Stealth power amp that I run cabs with sometimes, it's a very neutral power amp so it's not adding a lot to the tone. I would again say that the 20 has the tighter lows and smoother highs, the 11 has looser, crunchier lows, and the 30 is pretty broadly in the middle, but I'm not sure how to relate that to what you are asking more than that, sorry.

Gmork likes this.
  11. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I have the SS-20 but i only really use the clean channel (basically as a tube-driven eq pedal) as the dist channel on the SS-20 sounds very similar to the AMT R1 that i have.
    Similar enough to cover the same ground but not exactly the same.

12. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

So, after having to get rid of pretty much everything last year (lean work year, even my 30 yo RB JEM had to go), I'm slowly rebuilding. A GT-100 has pretty much been it for the past year, but I ordered a SS-20 last night direct from Russia (hopefully it speaks english) to run in a 4CM with the GT (so maybe it really needs to speak Japanese). I tried an Ampli-Firebox and people get some great sounds on videos and some people love it, but I had mixed success with it, and it really needs to be plugged in to a computer to edit. The short of it is that I like analog, especially for preamps, so sent the AFB back made an offer on a new SS-20 with free shipping from a Russian seller on Reverb.

Just FYI, I thought I had shot a really low offer but it was accepted, so, if you are looking...

13. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Necrobump sorry lol but hey so how did u end up liking the amt ss20 ?

14. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I like the SS-20 a lot, but don't really like the loop in the GT-100, it's a pain to get levels right and it always seems to color the sound. Lots of people say it can be transparent, maybe I don't have the patience to figure it out.

I sucked it up and ordered a GT-1000, and plan on using it for everything, it's just so much easier to set up quick and transport than a pedal board.

If you are going with an AMT preamp, I would suggest building a pedalboard around it like you would a real amp, that's how I've had the best results with them and they do act very amp-like. Of course, YMMV, it's all ice cream, etc...

Gmork and The906 like this.