Am I becoming a tonal dinosaur? Modern metal tone

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by farren, Sep 12, 2017.

1. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

The best ever guitar tone is the first 14 seconds of Aint Talkin Bout Love

2. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I still use a Mesa Triaxis and Simul 2:Ninety setup with Duncan Distortion and EMG-81 equipped guitars. I am fairly sure that my main Lead 2 Red sound was centered around Sepultura's Chaos A.D. I do steer away from the old Celestion G12T-75 though, leaning more toward the G12H-80, G12H-90, Creamback 75, Black Shadow 90 type speakers blended with a Vintage 30 though. Updating speakers might make a big step towards the difference in tones between 1990 and now.

Over the years I have gotten more creative with post-EQ and pre-gain boosting so that I have more upper mid cut. God Forbid and Killswitch Engage were ear opening with their clear, aggressive, midrange sounds. I really dig Holcomb's pickup set and his overall sounds on Haunted Shores and Periphery's albums. I find myself using that 90's death metal sound as a base, then seasoning with modern upper mid cut.

A lot can be said for listening to modern music and trying to capture some of the modern tones compared to sounds from the past. Your preference will ultimately be shaped by experience and comparing to everything you hear.

farren likes this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

TS, I'm a bit older than you and definitely feel your pain. My favorite metal tones are all firmly housed in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. I literally cannot listen to nor make any purchasing decisions based on YouTube clips for metal gear because these days it is practically ALL someone tuned to Drop-G, mids dimed, utterly no bass in the guitar tone, and playing heavily gated start/stop djent trash. It sounds like Donald Duck rapping with a cold, in other words.

Certainly, tone is subjective-- but there's kind of this mentality now that if you're going to play 'modern' metal, you must have that exaggerated "tiGhT, KlEER" sound.

I want my metal to be rough around the edges, I guess. Can't stand this overly polished crap.

prlgmnr, Blytheryn and farren like this.
  4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

For me, it's not the EQing of modern tone that's the issue, but rather the brutal "loudness wars" compression that just happens to accompany it. It gets harrowing during extended listening to stuff even if the tone sounds great.

HeavyMetal4Ever and AxeHappy like this.
  5. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

For me personally, modern tone is very often not brutal enough. Sure, it is loud as hell and the bass in the guitar (unlike the actual bass guitar) is way too cranked. But the grit and harshness is too soft and polished. Not enough "sawblade" effect.

Not sure if this is era-specific though, alot of older stuff also have this problem.

EDIT: Also need to add that the increase in bass I'm referring to is not the increase in bass that is due to the use of lower tunings.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Well, your not alone.

The recent trend in having the 1-2k frequency all jacked up to give that clucky pick attack can wear on the ears after a while. It does define an age in guitar though.

Having once owned an FAS & KPA, I found myself liking the old school "chuggy" metal amp profiles such as the MESA Mark III and Engl Savage.

That clicky "dert" sound kinda ruins playing heavy for me and my style... because I've got 10+ more years on you also.

Spaced Out Ace and farren like this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

5 - 10 years ago, everyone was complaining about the muddy, scooped out metal tones.

Now we miss it.

What a world. :lol:

AxeHappy, couverdure and farren like this.
  8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

And yet ATPB sounds drastically different, and is definitely mark IV's. I loved Ashes when it came out, and now I listen back from ATPB to sacrament and I felt that things just got too rounded out and lost aggressiveness tonally. Just shows the differences that are achievable, really.

9. farren

farren SS.org Regular

Well I am glad to see I'm not alone in it. :p Not that I could change my tonal preferences even if I wanted to... My tonal evolution in recent years is tweaking the EQ or gain an imperceptible amount every couple months, which over time probably leads me back to where I began. My own Red Queen's race.

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

My favorite tones are the brown sound, Aspen Pittman Purple Plexi/#39 [they're supposedly the same amp?], Soldano SLO, JCM 800, 1959, A/DA MP-1, Lee Jackson, etc. I prefer Marshall tones from the 70s and 80s. Eddie Van Halen, Warren DeMartini, George Lynch, COB, early Zakk Wylde, and Vito Bratta have great tone.

mikah912 likes this.
  11. Spaced Out Ace

I agree, but I think F.U.C.K. and Fair Warning have better tone. I also really like EVH's Plexi + Eventide chorus on 5150.

12. Spaced Out Ace

I don't. I prefer rock tones for metal.

13. farren

farren SS.org Regular

(The Lord Weird) Slough Feg epitomizes rock tones for metal. Basically a '70s Marshall sound with stock pickup Gibsons. It was cool until their more recent albums where IMO the gain has dropped to the point where palm muting just isn't satisfying--in fact, I'm not even sure they double-tracked their latest album, which sounds legitimately ancient.

For an example, see their tonal evolution from this to this.

14. exo

exo SS.org Regular

(old geezer mode on...) well, back in the day those "rock" tones WERE metal tones......

15. Spaced Out Ace

That first song is pretty cool. These new cats can keep their shitty 1-2k +12-15 dB guitar tones. I love mids, but that shit is excessive and superfluous. As for the second tune, they are double tracked, but are going for more of a KISS kind of tone. ie, I, The Oath.

Tony Iommi still has some of the best metal guitar tones. Kids today try to boost the upper mids and treble, but he was born into it, molded by it.

16. Spaced Out Ace

I love the Frazetta style album cover and artwork for Laser Enforcer and Digital Resistance.

17. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Early COB, especially hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper are my favorite guitar tones of all time.

18. Spaced Out Ace

Those are good. I also like Halo of Blood.

Blytheryn likes this.
  19. farren

farren SS.org Regular

Funny you mention KISS... The cover art for that album was actually influenced by a KISS album cover. Anyway, if interested, I feel obliged to mention Traveller (dog with a laser gun cover art :p) is usually considered the best album to start with, though the album before it and the album after it are also great.

20. Spaced Out Ace

KISS wanted Frazetta for Destroyer, but somehow couldn't get him. He was, I think, too much money and wanted to keep ownership of his artwork. They instead went with his protege Ken Kelly.

farren likes this.