Alternate Between Tunings with Trem

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by bmth4111, Aug 25, 2017.

1. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

Hello,

Is there a trem system which has the capabilities of a Floyd rose but that will allow me to change tunings on the fly. I know some trems like on strats can just be tuned but they seem to go out of tune since they aren't locked into place by a locking nut. Is there a trem that possibly locks but can be unlocked easily for quick tuning changes live.

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I’m not sure if any trem fits that description, but you know what does?

Another guitar! :lol: You just stumbled upon an excellent excuse to buy another guitar. If you’re married, telling the wife that you need another guitar to have a different tuning is a waaaay better excuse than, “but I don’t have a purple guitar...”

CrazyDean likes this.
  3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

If only...

For mechanical detuning, you're looking at either a Steinberger trans-trem, a tremel-no, or Floyd D-Tuna. The first two require the trem to be locked into a hardtail mode, whereas the last only allows for dropping your E string to a D.

Digital re-tunings, such as in a Variax or Roland GR setup, accomplish "the dream" - but hearing the real tuning of your physical strings spoils the illusion.

4. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

The tremol-no uses screws to lock the trem in place, so you can only change string tension so much before that friction fails. The D-tuna only works with a dive only setup. Going with transpose effects would be the best bet. I'm more of a fan of just buying more guitars :)

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

There are trems that lock and unlock on the fly...as in Parker Fly, for one. :lol: Epiphone also made a guitar with a (Schaller?) bridge that could lock and unlock with various modes, similar to the Parker bridge.

As far as being able to change tunings quickly - it is physically impossible if your bridge is floating. Meaning that a free-floating guitar set up for E standard will necessarily go bonkers out of whack if you change to D standard. The forces on a floating trem all have to balance. If you remove 100 N from the strings, you have to remove 100 N also from the restoring springs, and there is no system in existence that can do that. If you have a surface mount (dive-only) bridge, it will work, but only to some small extent.

I'm afraid your only viable solution is another guitar.

6. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

Ya I was wondering if this would just be a case of wanting something that is unattainable. But how would two dtunas work on the 7 and 6th string to change between GCGCFAD, GDGCFAD, ADGCFAD.

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

they'd have to somehow be in sync or else one dtuna would throw off the other one.

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Didn't you already ask this in another thread?

You could have custom D-tunas built, since they only work on an E string around .46-.52 gauge and starting at near E tuning. You would also need to have either a fixed bridge or dive only trem like EVH. D-tunas are not recommended for floating trems, because a change in tension will pull the other strings flat.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Trans-Trem.

10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

or you could do like me and get a digitech Drop pedal. Best money I have spend ever

11. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Getting a dive-only blocker installed will allow you to retune without having to balance the springs. How does less than 5 minutes sound?

Heck, if the fine tuners are setup correctly, you can drop tune without even unlocking the nut.

12. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

+1. It still didn't stop me from buying multiple guitars for different tunings though:lol:

A-Branger likes this.