Alien Covenant

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Gravy Train, May 18, 2017.

1. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

I didn't see a thread anywhere for this (or Alien in general), but is anyone excited for Alien Covenant?

Going to see it tonight in IMAX and couldn't be more excited! Alien is my favorite movie and I quite enjoyed Prometheus (contrary to what everyone else says).

Will come back with updates after seeing it!

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I loved it. It was exactly what I wanted for in a sequel to Prometheus(which I hated).

3. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I am excited about the movie. If anything, I'm anxious to learn more about the Aliens history than anything else. :cool:

4. Gravy Train

Yeah, I am quite intrigued on how they will handle the "origin" of the Alien. Since seeing the first film years ago, I always wondered how such a creature was created/lived!

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Its worth noting that there are two more sequels planned after this film. Its going to be a new Alien trilogy that will link up to the original Alien so there is still a lot of story to tell.

6. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I'm one of the few who actually liked Prometheus, I guess. Oh well to each their own. I've seen plenty of positive and negative for Alien: Covenant. That said, I'm going in to see it and I'm pretty sure I'll like it. For what it's worth, I also liked Aliens 3 and Resurrection, so maybe I'm just that guy. I like most of what's been done with the universe except for Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'll probably try and catch it this weekend, it looks like it'll be a blend between Prometheus' art style and the actual horror/suspense of Alien (I'm not crazy about where the franchise went after the original)

8. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I also enjoyed Prometheus. Sometimes going back to discover a movies origins can be a enjoyable watch. When I saw Prometheus for the first time, it was like watching Discovery Channel/National Geographic but for the Alien franchise. I enjoyed it. :cool:

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I like Prometheus. Despite idiotic characters (I get really mad at some of the stupid dialogue and actions), I really like other aspects. I think I've watched it three or four times, which is twice as much as I've seen a lot of movies I like with no reservations!!!

I dunno if I'll see this in the theater, but I expect to like it. The only movie I don't like in the Alien franchise (excepting AVP) is Alien Resurrection, which I flat-out hate.

10. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

this makes me hopeful

11. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I just got back from seeing Alien: Covenant in the theater. I wanted to type this out while it is fresh in my mind.

The film is everything that I (personally) could have wanted in a sequel to Prometheus. It is an interesting development following the events of Prometheus. It is vastly more suspenseful and has a few good attempts to scare the audience interspersed throughout its running time. (No cheesy "jump scares" though. It relies more on savagery and a few sadistic moments.) In summation, it pretty much is more along the lines of the original Alien and Aliens films (closely parallel to the latter) while retaining the art form and modern imagery of Prometheus.

With that said, all the big twists in the plot are easily predictable. You know what's coming. You know what's going to happen. (There is a nice payoff in it for the viewer if you're one of those types who enjoys going: "YEP, I KNEW IT. I KNEW IT.")

The concept of
    AI going rogue
    is just an incredibly overused cliché in sci-fi at this point. And in all honesty, it feels like Ridley Scott used it as a cop-out in the franchise's story thus far to easily get the viewer from Prometheus to where the story is currently left hanging (meaning closer to where the original Alien picks up). I mean, at this point in cinema history where everything has been made at least once, I am fine with clichés being used. However, the whole cliché in Covenant doesn't feel too blatantly stale and it is artfully executed
    with the introduction of Walter and how Scott uses Walter as the antithesis/contrast to David to really draw out certain qualities about David for the viewer.
    Covenant is possibly the best film added to the franchise since James Cameron's 1986 Aliens. (I'm curious to see how many of you would agree with me.) But it still could have been better as there were quite a few notable shortcomings. As soon as the credits began to roll, one of my friends who was at the theater with me began immediately sharing his hypothesized theories regarding how the story will continue to tie-in to the original part of the franchise because the film got him excited. And I definitely felt his excitement because, again, the film is an interesting development
    as the central focus of the story shifts and is now about an android who was created to assist humans in finding their creator, but instead, he himself develops a "god complex" and resorts to exercising his own power of creation by biologically engineering the Xenomorphs through tampering with the black fluid developed by the Engineers and cross-breeding by luring in more humans.
    One personal qualm related to this.
    The cross-breeding
    needed to be elaborated on further in Covenant though.

12. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I found it a piece of S the size of a planet, was wondering why there weren't any threads on this and understood after I saw it the other day. Should have kept expectations even lower...

13. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

I enjoyed it, but I enjoyed Prometheus too. As stated before, some real obvious plot twists occur, but enjoyable movie nonetheless.

14. fps

fps Kit

I really enjoyed it, except for the last half hour or so which felt very poorly edited and chunked together. The whole end portion failed to build a sense of consistent momentum and excitement, despite lots of things happening, a real sense of there being a lot of footage and the details being worked out later. Just as the adrenaline seemed ready to head into overdrive, a cut away from the action would pull all that excitement back down again. It was a really juddery landing. A couple of moments, such as the saying of a character's name at the end and another thing that could be seen from light years off felt patronising. But it was, at least, better than Prometheus.

Mostly really good!

15. Gravy Train

I saw it last night and very much enjoyed it. I thought it was a wonderful continuation off of Prometheus whilst also setting up for the next film. I'd love to see it again!

16. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

On a sidenote: Danny McBride really nailed his part. I had never seen him in a serious role, but he pulled it off.

17. Gravy Train

I couldn't agree more, I hope he does some more serious roles. He definitely has the chops!

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I actually loved Prometeus, and pretty surprised about the amount of people here who liked too. And I for one felt happy with that movie, I dont get why people feel the need to have EVERYTHING being explained on a movie, if they do so, then theres no time to make any story as you spend the whole time establishing. Also maybe because Ive watched many docos and videos about ancient civilizations, Sumerians, UFO, the Annunaki, planetX Nibiru, ect ect. So the whole Prometeus story about the engineers fits perfectly into that.

I loved this movie, its a mix of Prometeus and Alien (with more of the first), love the scenery and tho whole story about David and what he does, and all the answers about Prometeus stuff.

The only thing I felt bit disapointed was the "Alien" part of the movie, the ending. I though it was too rushed and not scary enough. Like the characters werent even scared of the thing and had a masterplan already from the start. Like "oh, the thing is here, cool, lets do this and that...simple" Like the movie needed another 20 min of so to develop a proper sense of fear for that part like the Aliens movies did.

Either way Im pretty happy with the movie.

And about whats next I saw in youtube a cool theory about it:
    the main thing they talked in the video was that the engineers ship on the Alien film cant be the same as the one David used from Prometeus, as they are on a different planet(it supposed to be the planet they are traveling to colonize, not the one in this movie), location,
    and theres no xenomorph eggs. So the theory is that another engineers ship was out there too, comes home after his mission and see the destruction. Figures t out who was and where they went to, and goes to take revenge. Once it arrives there, then gets attacked by the xenomorphs cultivated by David on the ship/new planet. And thats the ship that gets discovered in the Aliens movie witht he space jokey and the one they discover the eggs and facehuggers

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  19. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

An associate to Ridley Scott just let it leak that Michael Fassbender will be playing every character role including the Xenomorph in the franchise's next film installment. :lol:

cult likes this.
  20. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

hopefully