ABM Solo bridges - string through vs not string through?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by warped, Sep 13, 2017.

1. warped

warped SS.org Regular

Hi,
    I've used ABM Solo bridges on my latest build. It's all up and running and sounding good, however I am just threading the strings through the bridge. Is there any benefit to drilling through to the back of the guitar, installing some ferrules and having the strings go through the body? My saddles are fairly forward in the bridge for intonation so have plenty of room. If I did do it string through it would increase the break angle of the string to the saddle (is this good/bad?).

I'm pretty happy with how it sounds now, but am a compulsive tinkerer.

What is everyones thoughts?

2. Knarbens

Knarbens M&W Custom Guitars

One of the benefits I see with strings through the body is that the string pull is moved from the bridges to the back of the guitar. This way the string pull doesn't stress the bridge screws.

3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

1. No.
    2. Doesn't matter.

4. odibrom

odibrom SS.org Regular

Some Bass players say that strings through body will increase sustain and/or deep lows for the string will resonate deeper within the body for energy transfer. Personally, I don't think it is that audible. Take that with a grain of salt...

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

That's always what I've heard, but the strings are already coupled to the bridge, which is coupled to the body, so... its probably fine? Gonna resonate better than a floyd anyway.

odibrom likes this.
  6. warped

warped SS.org Regular

Excellent point - I never thought of that.

I think I'll focus my energy on getting a second guitar started and leave this one be - thanks for the input everyone

7. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

With a hard break angle, strings will feel slightly tighter but to bend to the same difference in pitch will require less physical distance. This does not change the string tension but it does change their behavior. No real reason to bother but an interesting test if you are curious!

8. odibrom

odibrom SS.org Regular

About the string pull and bridge screws stress, I've had a 6 string SR Ibanez (mik?) in my hands with its bridge bent due to string pull. The screws however looked perfectly fine. This bass had no "strings throuh body" option... it is all in the quality of things, the body wood at the bridge looked fine also...