A good combo of woods for an 8 strings?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Vehuel, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

Hello everybody,

I m searching for your help because I m not very used to the combos of wood on 8 strings.

I just had my place in the last Skervesen viper run for the 5th anniversary, I m very happy but I don t wanna do the "wrong" choices of wood because even if the options are not so numerous, there is some things that are out of common.

I have an Ibanez rg 852 gfp mpb with dimarzio paf, which I love, but I see that Skervesen is far beyond concerning the finishes and overall work.

So, I want an 8 strings, fanned frets 26"28", raptor shape, gold materials, and for the wood and pickup options Im still hesitating. Here are the possibilities that interests me:

-neck: I made my choice for 5pc neck wenge/purple heart stripes, and I think I ll choose Pau ferro fretboard (flamed maple or ebony is also available but I want something more special)

- body top: I will go for Burl poplar top, maple flame available, but here Again, I want something more exclusive.

-body: either black limba or swamp ash. I know it s far to be the same, but I really liked the ash wood on a strat I played for weeks during summer. But I fear swamp ash to be too harsh for an 8 strings, due to the extended scale and neck? WHat would be the result in terms of sound due to my previous choices of woods?

-pickups: here is another hard choice for me. I had a basswood 7 strings japanese rg with aftermath and I didn t liked the voicing, so I fear the Juggernaut to be the same kind of tone.
    I m hesitating between the new Ragnarok set (which is supposed to be far from the Juggernaut voicing but I don t have more informations.) or Nailbomb set. Maybe nailbomb + vhII...?

Waiting for advises guys :) I want a nice first Skervesen to begin with, I try to play alot of different kinds of music, so I want good cleans and nice distortion tones. I can t specify bands or artists because I really like a lot of different stuff :)

Any thoughts?

All entries are closed, but you can check by yourself the options available on
    Viper-run.eu

Thanks for all"!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Woods do have some influence on the tone but it really depends on other things too, like whether it's pickups/how they react in that guitar, bolt on vs neck through, type of top, bridge (whether it's hardtail vs tremolo), amp setup, preferred tuning, etc. Basically just pick woods you like and then try and pick pickups that complement those/your style.
    If you can give more detail than "good cleans and nice distortion tones" you'll probably get more specific answers about pickup recommendations.
    I can't really comment on how nailbombs would work in ash (never tried em). You'd be better off asking tim at bkp or cruising the bkp forums about specific pickups in certain woods.
    IF the ragnarok is an overwound version of the warpig (which is what I'm guessing it is) then it should work fine in ash, since the warpig is a darker/warmer sounding pickup (at least on the low end in my guitar, the c-pig had too much high end for my guitar).
    From my testing the duncan omega, bkp black dog, elysian modern, instrumental sfty3 and guitarmory matador all have great clarity/versatility in a swamp ash 8 string. If you want a darker more br00tal tone then the ceramic warpig or duncan black winter or avedissian scythe all work well for that.

3. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

Thanks for your reply mate :)

Sure I can precise some elements. It s a bolt on neck, with poplar birl top as I wrote. The bridge is fixed, with strings through body. The tuning would be standard 8 strings.

Im ok for picking woods I like, but thefact is that I don t knowthese woods, either swamp ash or black limba...

I play bluesy stuff, funk, ambiant cleans such as Periphery clean stuff, but I also like brit pop rock, with a crunch /overdrive sound, classic rock such as deep purple for example, hard rock, or more brutal stuff such as periphery.

I have a Fender hotroddeluxe and a CarvinLegacy, and a line 6 toneport but I ll probably buy an Axe fx 2.

I contacted BKP to have informations
    "I think it comes down to the type of music you will be playing. The Ragnaroks are incredibly powerful and cutting, but as you can hear from the videos they do ok cleans.

The Nailbomb set (not sure which bridge magnet you want) is a bit more balanced and versatile. The ceramic magnet is brighter and tighter, usually more popular for 8 string designs. The alnico is warmer, more character but less responsive in the low-end, so this may depend on the tunings you go for.

The VHII neck (as you know) is a smooth and clean hot-vintage model that is used in 7s and 8s form time to time. It could add versatility to the guitar. "

The thing is that an axe fx can make a 200€ guitar sounds like heaven, so it s hard to know...

4. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

Id be curious about the 8 string you have?

5. KnightBrolaire

generally limba is considered as being like mahogany, but with more mids
    swamp ash is usually considered as being a brighter wood with a fair amount of lows/highs (slight scoop in the mids supposedly).
    Of course those are general descriptions, every guitar/piece of wood is different. I have some all limba guitars that are quite bright and not anywhere near as thick sounding as an all mahogany guitar (though the pickups do contribute to that).
    For your situation I'd say go just listen to tim and try the nailbomb/vhII combo.
    this is my swamp ash 8 string: [​IMG]

Dineley likes this.
  6. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

Nice guitar what are thespecs?

I read that the swamp ash was open sounding so it can be interesting compared toblacklimba?

7. KnightBrolaire

swamp ash is brighter than limba in my experience. Past that I can't really say since there's so many other variables that aren't constant between my guitars (different tops/necks/pickups).
    the pic is of my Overload rhea 8.
    flamed ash body
    ebony top/matching headstock
    wenge/padauk neck
    abalone binding/ inlays
    27" scale
    guitarmory matador in bridge right now
    bkp emerald in neck
    3 way switch, 1 vol 1 tone with coil tap mini switch and boost circuit switch

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I find Black Limba is a good in-between for Swamp Ash and Mahogany. For an 8 string I'd go with it over those two. A 26-28" scale is going to be tight and bright enough so i'd be inclined to go for a rounder sounding pickup set to tame the high end.

With tone woods the results can be unpredictable so put a lot of research into the pickups you want and go from there.

9. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

Thanks for your time guys...

Knight, with an ebony top combined to swamp ash don't you find the result too bright?
    Yes, I saw that swamp ash is brighter than blakc limba, but I read that this swamp ash is really open sounding and clear, that's why I'm interested in this wood! :)

I like the look of the black limba, but I had numerous Ibanez J customs with mahogany/flamed maple top, and I find the result to be too neutral...

My Irsih friend, do you think pickups could correct enough the brightness? I really wanted to try swamp ash but yes, I begin to think that it could disappoint me in terms of what I'm expecting from the sound... but if black limba has the same "neutral" character to the tone, it s not really cool :/

10. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

The best wood combo is anything light and easy on your back. You're getting an 8 string. Keep weight in mind

sixesandsevens likes this.
  11. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

Yes this is a good point, but tone is THE most important point.
    Either black limba or swamp ash, i bet it s going to be less heavy than mahogany :)

12. KnightBrolaire

yeah it's definitely a brighter guitar. Swamp ash alone can be quite bright and the ebony makes it even brighter. That being said limba is not "neutral". Of the couple of all limba guitars I've owned they've all had a bright/mid heavy tone, though a big part of that was the pickups since I had lundgrens in one and black winters in the other (both of which are pretty mid-forward sets of pickups). Every piece of wood is different though, and pickups will interact differently with different guitars. I'd say go with the limba since the poplar burl is a softer wood that should darken the sound a bit (this would also apply to swamp ash though it'd probably have less of an effect comparatively). Plus it's not wood combo I see very much.

13. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

What kind of music do you play Knight? Just to know if the bright side of this wood is a matter to you ?

I'm gonna end with the nailbomb set I think..I fear the other Juggs and RagnarokS to be too clear for me.
    Still hesitating with the woods now...Just body though... :(

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

If a guitar is bright it can be hard to tame it with just pickups unless you go for something like a Tone Zone with a big cut off in the highs but its easy to tighten up the low-end and add highs later with your rig. I use Alnico V pickups nowadays since they are smoother in the top end but can still be very tight in the low end once you add an overdrive.

15. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

Thank's guys, I think I'm gonna choose the black limba, I really love the looks, but what I liked about the swamp ash is that it apparently has character and is open. I fear black limba to be too neutral or flat, so I hope it will sound good ! :)

For Pickups this is still the hesitation, I'd go for nailbombs but maybe I just miss great opportunities with Ragnarocks... Because Aftermath has really aggressive frequencies IMO. So its a great mystery... and except Misha who can make a 200$ guitar sings, we have not enough reviews for the moment...

16. Dahl

Dahl Dekhrom

17. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

Thanks guys! :)

I think I'm gonna take the black limba, because swamp ash with the 8 string and extended scale will probably be too harsh sounding...

Now for the pickups I'd like to try with these woods the Juggernaut set, what do you think about it guys?
    I see on the BKP site that the bass and mids frequencies are present, and the highs are a little below, so with this 8 strings I think that could be cool no?

Basically:
    - Juggernauts
    - Nailbombs
    - Nailbombs + VHII neck

Waiting for youuuu guys! :) I need to send my final specs today ! :)

18. Dahl

Dahl Dekhrom

Your 8 strings should have a lot of low end "naturally", IMO pickups with too much bass.. :/
    But a natural sound (aka just the guitar, without any FX) very full could be a great thing. It's much easier to remove frequencies than to add some.
    What's your amp/rig ?

19. Vehuel

Vehuel Reach the Light

Ha okay :/

I play in a Fender hot rod deluxe mainly, so not a djent configuration, I really play a lot of cleans, I like to create textures and soundscapes, that s why I need good pickups both for warm and clear cleans, but also for overdrive, rock and djent tones...

Dahl (borderlands??), you told my guitar should have a low end with the pickups I told you ?
    (on aurait pu parler en français remarque je viens de voir :) )

Due to the really articulate and clear sound of the Juggs I guess this could be nice no ?

20. Dahl

Dahl Dekhrom

(on aurait pu, oui..mais vu qu'on est sur un forum anglophone, je suis resté sur l'anglais ^^..Et Borderlands, oui !)

Low end without the pickups !
    An 8 strings as a larger sound range than a regular guitar, lot of natural low end..that's why, in my opinion, bassy/low mids sounding pickups could be "too much".