A gauge that works for both Drop G and A?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by WintermintP, Sep 10, 2017.

1. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Lots of other people have chimed in, but a .068 will do you fine on the 26.5 scale length for a "middle ground" solution. Don't worry about the .070 you put on somehow "hurting" your guitar, either. It's REALLY not that much added tension, comparatively.

2. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Lots of other people have chimed in, but a .068 will do you fine on the 26.5 scale length for a "middle ground" solution. Don't worry about the .070 you put on somehow "hurting" your guitar, either. It's REALLY not that much added tension, comparatively.

3. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Two things.

Remember, I do prefer lighter gauges but at the same time, my playing style is very aggressive as I said earlier, so I do indeed prefer a little bit more tension than the lightest gauge possible on the lower strings. This is why I went with a 10-52 as opposed to a regular 10 set because while couverdure edited his/her post to cater the suggestion closer to the lighter end, I actually did realise I am going to need that additional attack to the strings, and the only way to achieve such a thing was to beef up strings 4 to 6.

In addition, if 68 were available, I would've selected that. However, due to the time constraints I did have to get the guitar restrung as quickly as possible, so I had to use whatever that was available. That's why I ended up with a 70 as opposed to a 68, which I normally would've gone for.

Another thing to note, above all, is that the 70 actually did work toward my favour. It did feel a bit intimidating at first, but the tone I could get from it was dangerous. I did have to dial a whole new tone, but it actually worked out great for what I was trying to do.

As for how to get such a tone, the new tone I dial has the Thermionik Duality 3ch cranked to a Red Modern channel with the gain cranked up all the way and the EQ blended to taste. Then what I did was take the Dry/Wet to a 70% so that some of the string clanging can actually come out clearer. I realised that I was able to make the tone sound professional and still have that gain monster kind of tone I sorely needed at the same time. It's pretty much just like how you would dial a metal bass tone, except you want the raw DI to cover the highs as well, so you wouldn't put a lowpass on it.

Thanks,
    WintermintP

AkiraSpectrum likes this.