A gauge that works for both Drop G and A?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by WintermintP, Sep 10, 2017.

1. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Lots of other people have chimed in, but a .068 will do you fine on the 26.5 scale length for a "middle ground" solution. Don't worry about the .070 you put on somehow "hurting" your guitar, either. It's REALLY not that much added tension, comparatively.

2. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Lots of other people have chimed in, but a .068 will do you fine on the 26.5 scale length for a "middle ground" solution. Don't worry about the .070 you put on somehow "hurting" your guitar, either. It's REALLY not that much added tension, comparatively.

3. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Two things.

Remember, I do prefer lighter gauges but at the same time, my playing style is very aggressive as I said earlier, so I do indeed prefer a little bit more tension than the lightest gauge possible on the lower strings. This is why I went with a 10-52 as opposed to a regular 10 set because while couverdure edited his/her post to cater the suggestion closer to the lighter end, I actually did realise I am going to need that additional attack to the strings, and the only way to achieve such a thing was to beef up strings 4 to 6.

In addition, if 68 were available, I would've selected that. However, due to the time constraints I did have to get the guitar restrung as quickly as possible, so I had to use whatever that was available. That's why I ended up with a 70 as opposed to a 68, which I normally would've gone for.

Another thing to note, above all, is that the 70 actually did work toward my favour. It did feel a bit intimidating at first, but the tone I could get from it was dangerous. I did have to dial a whole new tone, but it actually worked out great for what I was trying to do.

As for how to get such a tone, the new tone I dial has the Thermionik Duality 3ch cranked to a Red Modern channel with the gain cranked up all the way and the EQ blended to taste. Then what I did was take the Dry/Wet to a 70% so that some of the string clanging can actually come out clearer. I realised that I was able to make the tone sound professional and still have that gain monster kind of tone I sorely needed at the same time. It's pretty much just like how you would dial a metal bass tone, except you want the raw DI to cover the highs as well, so you wouldn't put a lowpass on it.

Thanks,
    WintermintP

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. Gorespe

Gorespe Chopstix

For my Schecter KM7 at a 26.5" scale, I'll use 10-59 for a looser feel in Drop Ab. I'll adjust the truss rod abit to tighten up the tension on the neck to where it doesn't feel so loose.

I've really enjoyed the 10-62? set that came stock for a bit more control.

On my Skervesen Shoggie with a 25-26" scale in Ab, I use the Wired Guitarist Regular 7 pack which is 9.2-59.2. Their Heavy Set is 10.2-62.2 and with how I have my Skerv setup, I'd say G would would well for that gauge.

If you're using a standard 25.5" scale, I'd say that a 62-64 for the low G would work given that you adjust the truss rod and possibly the intonation and string saddle height accordingly. I also like to play spaghetti, so this might seem a bit too light, but I don't think it would sound bad.

Hope this helps!:pickle:

5. WintermintP

It's been several days ever since I last got the 10-52 + 70.

Over the past few days I ended up with a new problem of having to get new bass strings for the 5-string bass.

These L&M guys have been saying, "No, a 135 won't really work very well on Drop G" and I was like, "Crap, looks like I'll have to get Gabe Crisp's string gauges that I got directly from him," and at that point they started to say stuff like, "Oh the strings are thicker than the tuning pegs so it's not going to fit" so the free string change that I was supposed to have for the bass is outright nullified at this point because it requires additional setup such as the filing down on the nut, drilling holes on the tuning pegs, and so on and so forth. So I make the one last phone call to see if Gabe Crisp's signature bass at least has Gabe Crisp's gauges that he specified or the Drop G tuning by default, but I just get cut off in an instant so I'm like "What the hell... are they even allowed to just hang up on their customers like that?"

So a classmate of mine (we are in the Music Industry Arts programme over in Fanshawe) had to physically demonstrate the fact that a G on a 135 is actually doable. I actually had to try his bass that had the 135 on the bottom string and then I tried it when the whole thing was tuned to a G, and the tension was actually great.

Finally I'm starting to get the ball rolling and I just got my bass turned over to Greigg, a local independent guitar tech, and now I'm waiting for the bass to get set up with the new strings and now I can't do anything until that gets resolved...

Oh I was wrong about that tone I dialed on my guitar! It was actually Psycho B on a lead channel, but the idea was completely the same. Amp gain cranked all the way, Wet/Dry to 70%, EQ on the amp to taste and then the DI blended in just like how you'd do it on the bass except for the lowpass/highpass filters for separation (which I wouldn't do for guitars).

WintermintP

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

So, yeah - the thing is about 95% of the time you should not listen to music store employees unless you happen to know and trust them. If I were nearby I'd say just come over and I'll show you how to set up your own stuff. Since I'm not, I'll urge you to find someone to teach you.

7. WintermintP

Sometime in the future, I can outright fly over to Ottawa if you'd like, I think it's only, like, what, a three hour drive? Do you want to do that?

WintermintP

8. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Well I know a one way flight to Toronto is >200 most of the time. London is further - hell, for that type of money (or even less) you can have a tech show you the ins and outs way better than I can!

9. WintermintP

Well I didn't literally mean a "flight" per se, but what I thought of was getting a ride over to Ottawa. There's also Greyhound which I can look into.

But yea, a guitar tech is kinda hard to come by here, so I don't know if anybody's willing to teach this stuff.

WintermintP

10. WintermintP

Sorry for the delay, had trouble finding this thread.

Alright, so it's been only a month or two since I got the 10-52 + 70 set... and... the 52 broke this morning. YAY! orz

Hrmm... might be a good idea to look into even heavier gauges?

EDIT: OH?! It's been a month exactly! YAY I GOT A STRING WITH A ONE MONTH LIFESPAN! orz

Thanks,
    WintermintP