A Bit of a Disappointing Kiesel NGD

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by vignmachine, Nov 9, 2018.

1. vignmachine

vignmachine SS.org Regular

I respectfully disagree. Again, a key component of the original paint job is the prominence of the purple. The black line in the reference is negligible, whereas it completely overtakes the purple in the Zeus. "Thin black line".
    Furthermore, if I'm telling you I want the paint to look like X, and you make the call that you can do it by doing Y, it's not really on me that the way you did it didn't work out. If it was a matter of being charged the extra $200 but to get the specific paint job I wanted, I obviously would have paid the extra charge - particularly since I OK'd the initial quote, anyway.

I think I was rational in placing trust that the descriptor was sufficient. I'm not a builder or a painter, so I submitted the photo and relied on their expertise. I think that's fair.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. vignmachine

And...as I've mentioned, had customer service been even marginally sympathetic, this thread would likely not exist. Everyone makes mistakes, every company has disagreements with their customer base, there are always miscommunications that exist. It's how you deal with it that, to me, is important.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...but, my point here, is while this wasn't as clearly disclosed as it should have been, the painters never GOT the reference picture, because they agreed on the written description for the burst rather than the picture, and reduced the price by the $200 reference photo cost.

Again, this should have been communicated a lot more clearly, but if you read the description that was provided for the bust, and ONLY the description, it's tough to say they got it wrong.

And I've long held that Kiesel's customer service post-sale is so bad that I'd never chance an order. No argument there.

4. vignmachine

That may be the case. Even then, I find it difficult to accept that they did that black burst as an interpretation of "Thin black line". I'm of the opinion, and it appears many others are as well, that the black burst they did was a pretty standard burst that ignored that descriptor.

Either way, it's moot now. As you've stated, it's the post-sale service that is in large part the issue.

5. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

My question is , why the hell is that guitar 2400 bucks??? 5 years ago it would have been like 1500. They jacked the prices

cwhitey2 likes this.
  6. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Back then it would have been a Carvin and people would have scoffed at paying $1500 for it.

7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Have they, though?

The Holdsworth was their first headless, and launched at $1200 6 years ago. Even simply adjusted for inflation that's $1350. the Zeus starts at $1200 in today's dollars, so technically it "costs" less even though it's the same number of dollars.

Quilted maple tops even 15 years ago were $300 ($430 in today dollars, but they are actually only $400 so we're getting a BETTER price now than in 2012).

So right there, not including the upgrade body wood, the upgraded neck woods and multi-piece neck, you're already at $1780 for the launch-6-years-ago-Holdsworth-headless-with-today's-dollars. Pushing $1900 with case and shipping, so only $300 different than the price OP paid for this Zeus of $2200 (no idea if that was 'total' with case and shipping, though) for his with a multi-piece neck, upgraded body wood, covered pickups and now comes with stainless frets and the Luminlay side dots (which, whether you want it or not, they used to be upcharges and are now included)...none of which were free, even in the rose-colored-glasses "pre-kiesel" time.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    laxu likes this.
  8. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah I'll pile on Kiesel for more than a couple things but their pricing is not one of them. I think they've managed to stay pretty reasonable on the price front, for the most part.
    $2200 for a semi-custom made in America guitar sounds pretty good to me.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not to mention, the OP corrected the price in a different post, it was $2024, not $2400.

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

One correction: I meant to type "2002" instead of "2012".

11. crowbar1115

crowbar1115 SS.org Regular

You'd think that in situations like this they'd do a quick test burst on scrap wood, take a pic and get customer approval before moving forward.

It would cost next to nothing and prevent this kind of negative publicity from ever appearing

cwhitey2 and Carl Kolchak like this.
  12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That’s :nono: not :nono: what :nono: we :nono: do :nono: here :nono: at :nono: Kiesel :nono: guitars!

I’ve got Jeff himself here and he said that the guitar is perfect and the client just doesn’t know what they wanted.

13. crowbar1115

crowbar1115 SS.org Regular

Kiesel does have that Fallout 76 vibe at times, don't they? Haha

Velokki, Masoo2, cwhitey2 and 2 others like this.
  14. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

E240FCAA-113E-4027-8298-7FC0A493C179.jpeg I feel like this Kiesel better achived the vibe you were going for

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  15. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

...well that would make sense.

Plus you cant trust their pics...at all.

16. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

Based on this thread, I'd definitely disagree with that 100%. He got an awesome looking guitar that, by his own admission, is flawless otherwise. But he is disappointed in it.

Why in the hell would he be disappointed if he didn't know exactly what he wanted? Take that justification crap somewhere else.

17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I think you completely misread what I wrote. We are both saying the client is deservedly upset.

My comment was sarcasm that Kiesel wouldn’t even bother testing that they could do a color before saying the could do it.

18. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Hey Bill. Apparently prison has impaired your ability to understand satire. ;)

19. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

I looked at these 2 pictures and thought, 'you're right, that god-awful paint job on top looks nothing like the classy understated one below.' Imagine my shock when I read the thread properly.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but I'm glad you at least like how the guitar plays. On the bright side, if you keep until you're 40 you may prefer it. :lol:

EDIT: Fat fingers

fps and Razerjack like this.