8 String pickup shootout. Same amp, same guitar, no bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Apr 4, 2017.

1. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

@KnightBrolaire,

If you mind, recommend me some pups? I have stock rg2228 and i like D Activators but they too much output for me. Can you recomend me something close wise-sounding but slightly more headroom.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

if you're looking to stay with dimarzio, I'd say try the eclipse pickups. They've got a good amount of output but clean up far better than the d-activators. They're not quite as thick sounding as the d-activators but still deliver excellent high gain tones.
    eclipse clips
    https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal/sets/dimarzio-eclipse-bridge-pickup
    d-activator clips
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/md62xsjuvv8dy67/AABKNHkkdTU5UaQZ0Dy3fngla?dl=0

3. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

I tried to put D Activator neck in bridge which is about 360k hot. That came as same the same output as Eclipse bridge by default. And that is too less power, especially for 7 and 8 string to get proper sound definition. So thats led me to Ionizers but i think theyre too vintage'y and not as "cold" as DA.

4. KnightBrolaire

I've found that you don't need high output pickups with 8 strings, if anything I prefer more medium to medium hot pickups since they tend to have better clarity on the low end.. The voice of the pickup also plays a big part in if the pickup retains clarity ime. Bass heavy pickups like the ceramic warpig are dark on the low end and muddy up the overall sound.

You could also try the duncan black winters, they're relatively high output and might be more up your alley. demos of that set are a couple of pages back in the thread.

Zoobiedood and gienek like this.
  5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I just noticed you got those Foxbats in your Rhea 8. Can't wait to hear about your experience on those.
    My Atlas set is my favorite so far (having Red Stone, Polaris, and Orion in other guitars at the moment) but I have both the ceramic and alnico sets of the Foxbats waiting to be installed.

6. KnightBrolaire

I've heard good things about the foxbat sets. I'm going to record a couple more clips with the orion bridge and then I'll install the foxbats. I'm thinking about grabbing an 8 string patriot since I liked the 6 string version so much.

7. KnightBrolaire

8. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Anyone use MJS pickups?
    From canada, been in business for 30 years and do custom 8s and fanned etc.