8 String pickup shootout. Same amp, same guitar, no bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Apr 4, 2017.

1. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

@KnightBrolaire,

If you mind, recommend me some pups? I have stock rg2228 and i like D Activators but they too much output for me. Can you recomend me something close wise-sounding but slightly more headroom.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

if you're looking to stay with dimarzio, I'd say try the eclipse pickups. They've got a good amount of output but clean up far better than the d-activators. They're not quite as thick sounding as the d-activators but still deliver excellent high gain tones.
    eclipse clips
    https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal/sets/dimarzio-eclipse-bridge-pickup
    d-activator clips
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/md62xsjuvv8dy67/AABKNHkkdTU5UaQZ0Dy3fngla?dl=0

3. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

I tried to put D Activator neck in bridge which is about 360k hot. That came as same the same output as Eclipse bridge by default. And that is too less power, especially for 7 and 8 string to get proper sound definition. So thats led me to Ionizers but i think theyre too vintage'y and not as "cold" as DA.

4. KnightBrolaire

I've found that you don't need high output pickups with 8 strings, if anything I prefer more medium to medium hot pickups since they tend to have better clarity on the low end.. The voice of the pickup also plays a big part in if the pickup retains clarity ime. Bass heavy pickups like the ceramic warpig are dark on the low end and muddy up the overall sound.

You could also try the duncan black winters, they're relatively high output and might be more up your alley. demos of that set are a couple of pages back in the thread.

Zoobiedood and gienek like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

6. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I just noticed you got those Foxbats in your Rhea 8. Can't wait to hear about your experience on those.
    My Atlas set is my favorite so far (having Red Stone, Polaris, and Orion in other guitars at the moment) but I have both the ceramic and alnico sets of the Foxbats waiting to be installed.

7. KnightBrolaire

I've heard good things about the foxbat sets. I'm going to record a couple more clips with the orion bridge and then I'll install the foxbats. I'm thinking about grabbing an 8 string patriot since I liked the 6 string version so much.

8. KnightBrolaire

9. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Anyone use MJS pickups?
    From canada, been in business for 30 years and do custom 8s and fanned etc.

10. KnightBrolaire

so since i sold my kemper recently all future clips will be done with my mk3 and fsm, which kind of undermines the core concept of this shootout (ie remove as many variables as possible). i'll try and provide DIs as well.
    i'll be recording some extra orion clips tomorrow through my current setup and then finally installing the foxbats.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

12. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on the foxbat set:
    The bridge is interesting, it can run the gamut from doomy/blues stuff to tighter more technical riffage (though it struggles clarity wise for techier stuff if not split). It has plenty of growly aggression and low end/midrange (but not in an obnoxious way). The high end is definitely warmer than the orion. The split coil sounds are excellent and much clearer than the base sound but obviously it makes them far more susceptible to noise/hum issues under high gain.
    The neck has a great smooth feel that translates into buttery smooth lead work. It's got a very rounded warm sound in this guitar, which is surprising considering the guitar/my amps are relatively bright. I much prefer this to the bkp emerald I had in the neck previously (which is great for bright jangly cleans/chord work but lacks the warmth and smoothness that I prefer for leadwork).

13. LeviathanKiller

I just installed my set yesterday and my thoughts are the same.

I prefer the Atlas set for metal stuff but the Foxbat set is very versatile.

14. KnightBrolaire

I'm going to keep playing around with my amp settings but so far I don't particularly like the foxbat bridge through my mk3. It feels too muddy unless I split it. The split sound is great. I think the neck would pair really well with the orion bridge though.

15. LeviathanKiller

I can definitely understand that. It's pretty warm and slightly fuzzy feeling to me. I don't see that it would pair well with a mk3 unless you want a super thick sludgy tone.

16. KnightBrolaire

the mk3 is a bright and midrangey amp that can thicken up considerably but it's never sludgy unless i want it to be. i'd say the foxbat is the thickest and warmest of all the guitarmory pickups i've tried so far, even moreso than the polaris. we'll see how it sounds with the fsm.

17. LeviathanKiller

I have the Polaris and Foxbat (both in alnico 5 and ceramic) and don't hear it being thicker

Did you try each set in the same wood?

18. KnightBrolaire

every pickup in this thread barring a few (lundgren m8, xbar, 808x, elysian goliaths) has been in the same guitar, with the same string/riffs/amp settings. That was the whole point of this shootout.
    I reviewed the clips I made of the foxbats vs the orion clips and the foxbats are definitely thicker/warmer sounding comparatively, but not necessarily muddy.
    Here's some foxbat clips. DL for best quality, the streaming sound is quieter than the DL version for whatever reason :shrug:
    FSM (guitar in standard):
    https://app.box.com/s/nueksjrnoqlpr4xefp89rs8oykz10tgb
    FSM (guitar in drop E):
    https://app.box.com/s/0wgm18sh2tbpuu0wovkrny3fw9d52lzj
    MK3 cleans:
    https://app.box.com/s/h8n1tad38nxi9re7y83uq95kfloh2wzm
    Mk3 br00tz:
    https://app.box.com/s/l3sy30q51q3xs6marq2jdyhtdw6i6j2y

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  19. LeviathanKiller

Yeah my Orions are definitely brighter than even the ceramic Foxbats imo.
    For me from darkest to brightest it's:
    Polaris > Foxbat (alnico 5) > Foxbat (ceramic) > Atlas (alnico 5) >= Orion > Red Stone

Polaris is in mahogany bolt-on
    Foxbat A5 is in swamp ash
    Foxbat ceramic is in mahogany
    Atlas A5 is in swamp ash
    Orion is in mahogany
    Red Stone is in mahogany

I wonder if you or I got a slightly different specimen than the usual. Or if ours are just different than each others.