8-string guitar noise problem

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ryane24, Jan 8, 2018.

1. ryane24

ryane24 SS.org Regular

I will try to condense this as much as possible. A couple months ago I bought this guitar: http://www.rondomusic.com/pendpro82528ebemgocean.html
    It was an upgrade from the Schecter Omen 8. I was super pumped about it. Now I'm about ready to sell the fucking thing and get something else. Firstly let me say I'm tuning to FBEADGBe. Nothing extreme here. It started with intonation problems on the top string. Long story short I put an .80 on top to see if that would intonate better. It did, all my problems were solved! Except not. Now when I play the string open it does this weird harmonic thing almost like I'm doing a natural harmonic. I tried a .76 and it's not as bad but it's still there. I've been going around in circles for so long I'm starting to wonder if I'm losing my mind. If anyone has the slightest idea how to save me from this insanity i will be forever grateful! Here is a clip of what I'm talking about

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7fp7kowbl8mh8a/8string-noise.mp3?dl=0

In the recording I'm just going back forth between palm mute and open on the low F. No reason you should be hearing the high frequencies that you are hearing on the open notes.

EDIT: I should probably also say that I have the strings behind the nut muted because I already know someone is going to say that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

how close are your pickups to your strings? I know that my guitars make weird noises like that if I set my pickups too high and the string scrapes/bounces against the poles/bolts.

lewis likes this.
  3. ryane24

ryane24 SS.org Regular

Lowering the pickups makes a slight difference but doesn't get rid of the problem. After messing around some more it seems like the biggest difference is turning off the over drive pedal lol. It's kind of hard to get the tone I'm after without it though

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Stupid questions:
    Is all the bridge hardware secured properly?
    Did you unwind the string to fit the post at all? Are the winds loose?
    Is there a spring behind one of the pickups that isn't doing anything?
    Does the guitar exhibit this issue with "F" located other places on the neck?
    Did you change the settings on the OD pedal to the new guitar?

I know this all basic stuff, but sometimes we overlook simple shit.

5. ryane24

ryane24 SS.org Regular

Yeppp. Also with the string, they are locking tuners. So not much winding necessary. I tried changing the battery, because...it's one of the few things I hadn't tried yet lol. No luck. The only other thing I can think to try is try some different pickups, or get rid of the guitar lol. Which I really don't want to do because I like the guitar outside of this stupid problem and I'm outside the return period sooo. I'm bound to lose money. The thought crossed my mind that maybe the nut is the problem but I can only imagine changing the nut on a multi-scale 8 string guitar is going to be a process and it may not even fix the problem.

EDIT: Just realized changing the pickups would be a damn process too because they are actually 9 string pickups because of the multiscale slant...

6. odibrom

odibrom .

When going lower on tuning and fatter on strings, one must ease the gain in order to get a better overall sound. It means that one must redo all amp/pedal settings for that specific guitar. From what I heard in the clip it didn't sound lie there was any hardware problem at all besides eventually the pickups timbre. my 2 cents, hope it helps...

ERG guitars should come with different pickups for lower strings and eventually a dual output design for different tone processing... not practical for most of us though...

7. ryane24

ryane24 SS.org Regular

What do you make of this? The gain is on zero and the OD pedal is completely off. This is all simulated BTW, Peavey 6505 emulation, and I tried other amps as well. Obviously it's not nearly as loud but you can still hear it. I've tried picking different ways, different picks, different amp sims. Same thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acj7kfzm9mco4tr/8string-noise2.mp3?dl=0

8. odibrom

odibrom .

Best way to put it in order is to do a clean sound test. If you hear noises, it's most likely a hardware problem (including parasite vibrations behind the nut). Other than that, I don't think there is a problem in your tone or I may simply be not paying attention to the same frequencies you are hearing. To me this sounds like a regular distorted 8 string being pluck.

9. shadow070

shadow070 SS.org Regular

I had the same problem. It bugged me out.

A real long story short:
    I have the RG2228. After a year i started to play my tube amp again and i got this weird harmonic on my high E. The low freq. of my 8th low E string would create this. Even when i was only playing on the higher strings i had the problem. I tried so much!!!!!!
    So, when playing a E on a higher string or fret, my low E(the 8th string) would vibrate and cause a natural harmonic.

After a while i didnt have the problem.
    I worked on playing cleaner and mute better, i also moved to a other house so i play in a other surrounding.

Now i dont notice it anymore.

Posible solutions:
    - Something in the room that causes this
    - Better palm muting
    - Sitting not to close and in front of the speaker( i would sit quite low and max 2 feet away. (i dont play loud at home)
    **** this is what i really think solved it: When changing strings, i would let the string go inside the bridge saddle, maybe a bit to far and it would touch the woood or something in the back. This would result in a more and unwanted vibration. Now when changing strings i dont push it that far in to the bridge saddle.***

I googled everything on sympathetic string vibration.

I wish you good luck and succes and hope you get this sorted out quick. It took me about 2 months.

odibrom likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

one more thing, how are you picking the strings? do you hold it at a steep angle (like 45 degrees or more)? I think a combination of that and possibly picking directly over a harmonic node could be why it sounds weird to you. :shrug:

odibrom likes this.
  11. ryane24

ryane24 SS.org Regular

I typically pick at a slight angle. But I recorded takes varying the pick angle from completely flat to a more severe angle than usual. Didn't seem to make a huge difference.

Shadow070, I will explore some of the things you mentioned and see what happens!

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

make sure all your tuners/buttons/nuts are all tight.
    I had a loose nut one time and it was creating buzz. Took me a while to find out what the culprit was.

13. redragon

redragon SS.org Regular

Let's hear it - recording?

14. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Just to be a bit pedantic, because I've been seeing this a lot lately, but the string furthest from the ground is the 'bottom' string. It's related to pitch, just like moving "up the neck" is physically moving downwards.

odibrom likes this.