8 String floyd Rose - Maximum String Gauge?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Broken_Hyren, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

"I think"

For the info, a 90 on 27" in E is only the same tension as a 46 E on 25.5. Or a 62 B, etc.
    I think it's pretty safe for me to use that as a standard recommendation :) Yes plenty of people are used to playing the 38 E equivalent flop that comes in stock 8 sets but I'm not going to recommend that, especially when the thread starter already identified that those strings are far too loose!
    I'm not a heavy string whacko and if I was I wouldn't use my tastes as base suggestions to others haha.
    I get where you're coming from, the number on paper can sounds nuts if you're new to it. I used to tune to drop A with the stock sets 56 gauge etc...Can't understand how looking back. Try balanced tension some time - it makes the instrument feel and sound like a whole 8 again rather than 7+1 weird string.

2. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

Your "at least" modifies your "I think" to read as though you're saying that .090 is your opinion, but .086 is the objective minimum.

I simply disagree. I use a .075 for drop E on my 27" 8s, they're not floppy at all, and they certainly don't feel out of place with the rest of the strings (I've used .074, but that was just that little bit off). In fact, I'm using the DR 8 string sets; they have one with a heavier gauge for everything and I didn't really like it as much. Now, given, I'm not using trems, so I guess that may through a wrench in the works, but I doubt it.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and my response had more to do with your wording than feeling like your opinion was nuts or anything.

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

In full I meant:
    "90 will be like 10's, but I know some people like 9's and an 86 would match that. Less simply wouldn't work in my opinion for the low tunings where I find tension gets more important".
    Haha :) Yeah each to their own man I'm well aware there are a ton of people using stock sets happily! I just find it bizarre to use a bottom string that's literally 4 semitones looser than the rest

4. sonority

sonority SS.org Regular

Hi -

I know this thread is a year old, but I contacted Floyd Rose about this last week. This is what they said:

"Just sat with our tech and strung up one of our Floyd Rose Discovery Series Guitars with some heavy gauge strings. .80 fits very comfortably in the saddle and locks at the nut-- we didn't have a .90 unfortunately, but .100 was just a little too big. It's a close call for sure-- in a pinch a tech could perceivably sand down an insert block to create a little more room, although we can't officially advise doing that."

Also:

"The saddles are all identical, so it would be the same for each. I do think .90 is doable-- if it were to not fit the saddle, the insert block could potentially be sanded thinner to compensate."

So there you go!

5. firstbreakless

firstbreakless SS.org Regular

Even though this thread has a decent rot smell to it, I thought someone might like to hear a final conclusion on the 90s and C tuning. Shecter Hellraiser FR here. Initially, the string does fit, but the saddle has big trouble holding it. It popped out a bunch of times, so I tried hammering it a bit flatter. Next thing I know the winding comes off, making the core pop out again. In the end I tried taking some of the winding off on purpose and the thing finally sits tight and even sounds less muddy that way. The downside here is, the tremolo can't really hold the tuning when doing dive bombs. When you pull the bugger up, the string pops out and you're at square one again. So no, it doesn't really work, unless you got a Floyd guitar to not use the Floyd. I'll try an .80 or .85 next, hope that works.

6. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    I've put an 80 or 85 in a stock lo pro 7 before. Had to drill tuning peg out though... One trick is that most of those huge strings have a tapered end, so if you cut it at the right point, the tapered end will go into the FR saddle, and then the full thick part of the string will start just before the saddle and all you'll need to do is hope that it fits through the tuning peg, or quite possibly get out your trusty drill and make that hole bigger

7. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

If the string diameter is too large to fit into the Floyd saddle, why not drill the Floyd saddle to have a wider opening? Just take out the insert and drill the steel saddle to open it up a bit? The insert should still hold the string when locked down.