8 String floyd Rose - Maximum String Gauge?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Broken_Hyren, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Broken_Hyren

Broken_Hyren SS.org Regular

So I'm very interested in getting either an Agile, or a Shecter C-8 FR.

I anticipate needing at least a .90 string (well, now that I think on it, a longer scale would mean a lower gauge string, and that I can live with as well. either way, this would be useful to know)

, and I'm wondering if the Floyd Rose 1000 8 string tremolo bridges can actually accommodate the higher gauge strings.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Broken_Hyren

bumpppppp >_>!

3. ERGonomic

ERGonomic Banned

id definitely get the c8 fr and dont go any heavier than stock

4. BrenMari

BrenMari SS.org Regular

It might be able to, I haven't used heavier gauged strings on it (yet) but I believe it should (Don't quote me on it, I could be wrong) . Do get the C8FR. I own it and it has worked well for me. Tuning it is going to be a bitch though.

5. BrenMari

BrenMari SS.org Regular

And I just realised you actually commented on one of my posts...
    :lol:

6. Broken_Hyren

I really do like the way it looks.

But only being able to go up to .74 is a bit disappointing. I love floyds but would that be able to handle Drop E? maybe? On a 28 scale it seems a bit more possible.

Think I could go up to .8 something?

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I haven't used one but I'm fairly certain they can take heavier strings. I've seen posts about it and many many people aren't using the ridiculously light stock 74.
    I think 90, at least 86, is necessary for E on 27"

8. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but you should definitely be able to get a .90 string on there. If you do, you need to setup the FR bridge to accomodate that. Because the FR bridge acts as one unit, and you put on heavier strings, that therefore increases the tension. So, in order to set up the bridge for heavier strings, you need to open up the back plate, and adjust the screws that mount the tremolo to the body. You will end up just have to "unscrew" them a few turns until the FR bridge is flattened out on the top side. Hopefully that made sense.

9. spectrrrrrre

spectrrrrrre INSERT DJA DJENT

It is possible for the string tension to outweight the cap on the claw spring tension. Happened on my 7 when I installed a tremolno and lost the 5th spring, had to drop to lower gauges. However FU-Tone (Floyd Upgrades) sells heavy duty springs that have more tension than stock floyd springs, so worst comes to worst you could get a set of those if the strings are too tight.

10. Ron Head

Ron Head keep calm raise hell

In my RG8 i have 4 springs , with a gauge of 010,013,017,026,036,046,062,074 ..
    these are not stock strings and the brand i use are D'Addario's ..

i 'discovered' the drop-E tuning ( E-B-E-A-D-G-B-E ) while experimenting with this guitar , and the guitar and trem hold on very very well ! infact i didn't need to adjust the springs coming from F# to that drop E ..

the tone is still very thick yet tight ( might be the pups too heheh ) , but serious i am not in the need for thicker sets right now , with this RG8 modded ..

and since its Floyd , you don't need the endball thus makes it possible to fit any thicker strings anyway ..

i am waiting on my locking nut from Ibanez ; the 'original' Floyd nut in the tremeloset is about 1 - 1,5 mm to narrow , you can use that one , but it will narrow your stringspace ( to much than you're used to , at least on Ibanez guitars )

ok , some visual :

[​IMG]

11. Broken_Hyren

Dude. Ron. That is amazing.
    What a badass guitar.

12. Ron Head

Ron Head keep calm raise hell

13. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

^that mod is so killer! good work. i wish ibanez would make a lo pro 8 trem... that would be intense! although, i am hoping you wont have problems with the trem posts tilting forward over time in that basswood with all that extra string tension... but looks like that wouldn't really be a problem for you to repair being that you did such a good job getting that on there :shred: i guess if they were to start putting 8 string trems on the 'nez's i would want at least mahogany just for the extra wood strength, or better yet swamp ash. i know that's a major shot in the dark though haha

14. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I'm using an 82...

15. Broken_Hyren

Tyvm konfyouzd - but COULD you go higher?
    I plan on tuning as low as C on my 8th string, and I'm wondering if a 28 scale would be enough for this. I don't mind buying an Agile and going for a 28.625 scale if necessary.

I'll look into using a tension calculator to figure out EXACTLY what I'll need

i see your posts quite often so I figure that you'd be a good person to ask about this.

16. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Jesus H Christ. :eek:

I'd just get a 7-string with a Floyd and/or a bass with Kahler or Hipshot trem.

If you need a guitar tuned that low, I'd go with a fanned fret 30-28.6" with Kahler multi-scale trem: http://www.rondomusic.com/pendulumcustomjune2014.html

I have a C-8 FR with an .080 on the bottom tuned to F#. According to the string tension calculator we use here, I'd need at least .120 for C. (Good news is La Bella makes one: http://www.labella.com/products/hrs-custom/ Bad news is I highly doubt it'd fit a Floyd. Though I wonder if you could clamp the inner winding, which would probably fit; similar to a tapered low-B on bass.)

17. Broken_Hyren

So Kahler can fit these much higher gauge strings?
    And I guess that it makes sense I'd have to go for 30' - Tyvm for the recommendation, I really may take you up on that and maybe you'll see a NGD some time!

My reasoning for this tuning has to do with Drop 3 times. It sounds actually pretty good on my 27' with incredibly floppy strings. It's Drop D, Drop G, Drop C. (Misha plays a drop F# for Ragnarok I think on a 7th string)

18. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Hmm, Kahler's extra wide string hook only accommodates up to .090. (Actually less, since the ball end is thicker.) Though I'm sure you could drill it out to at least .100. I once drilled their regular string hook to accept a .059. No big deal. In fact, you can tell by the exposed brass on the extra-wide one that it's just a drilled-out regular one. :lol:

19. geeman8

geeman8 SS.org Regular

If the full size of whatever gauge string does not fit into the Floyd, you could always turn the string around and use the part of the string that tapers off at the end. Just clip it to where only the tapered part is clamped in and the rest is the full size of the string. This type of thing is done on bass guitars all the time...just that the strings are designed to where it works without flipping the string around. I just figure you're going to cut off some at each end of the string anyway. I did this on my old RG7620 with an 82 gauge with no issues.

20. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

No.