6505 Lead Channel Settings?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MetalThrasher, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

I've only had my 6505 regular for 3 weeks and I've been living in the crunch channel so far and loving it! I'm running this through a 2x12 cab that currently has 2 Red Coat CV75's… however I just got a Swamp Thang to replace one of the speakers which I plan on doing tomorrow! Any how… I need some suggestions for settings on the lead channel. I'm looking for a good old school thrash metal type tone. I am already running an OD and NS2 in front. I plan on running a GE7 in the loop but I need to buy some cables for that soon!

KailM likes this.
  2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Somewhere between 666 and 777 we’re my favorite settings on the 6505. Resonance and Presence to taste. Kicked ass for everything

Smoked Porter and Leviathus like this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Pretty much this. I edge closer to 777 these days.

Once you get that EQ pedal in the loop, try cutting 400hz by 3-5 Db ; put a slight boost on both 100hz and 1.6khz and you'll be picking your face up off the floor.:mf666:

buriedoutback and Beheroth like this.
  4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

666 is always a good starting point for these amps :yesway: in fact, that's where I have my Block Letter set right now :D

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

A few other things I forgot to mention:

On the lead channel, especially if you're boosting it, less is more with your pre gain settings. Using the high gain input, you might find that "3" or even "2.5" is enough gain to be fully saturated yet stays tight, punchy and thick. If you're boosting it and dial in too much gain it'll start to take away from your sound because notes will start to mash together.

Experiment with the low gain input as well. I find that I can get a slightly different range of tones with that input and it also changes the feel. You can up your gain to around 4 with that input. I find that it has a little more sag in response but if I dig in with the pick a little harder I am rewarded with an even more 3D, huge-sounding chug. It's a little more Recto-like with the low gain input, in other words.

Finally, these amps LOVE a 5751 tube in V1 and the phase inverter position. They kind of cut the fizz and allow more "meat" to come through while improving clarity. I use JJ 5751s --- they're cheap and excellent.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  6. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Low gain input, pre around 4, 6.5-5-6.5, resonance comes up as the volume does, presence up until the amp comes to life, but don’t go overboard.

If you get the ge-7, then I’d probably bring the amp EQ back to 555 just to get a feel for the 7 bands on the pedal and what they do, by setting them all in the center; max out one at a time and listen. If it gets harsh, whistley, otherwise unpleasant, then drop that band below 0. Slightly nasty or woofy can be a slight dip, real nasty can get cut -6 or more. If the band sounds good then you can bump it. The best approach is to keep the sum of the frequencies close to 0. If you have 2 bands that ended up getting cut a total of 10dB, then you can boost the other bands around 10dB total. Then once you dial that in, go back slowly towards your favorite amp setting as it might change a little.

7. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

Thanks for the solid advice everyone! I have another question as I just installed a swamp thang in the 2x12 cabinet…… I originally thought the cabinet had CV75's but after installing the swamp thing I noticed that it has Eminence Red Coat Wizards in it! Would the swap thang work with the Wizard? Unfortunately, I don't have time to play tonight but I was curious if this combo of speakers would work well the the 6505?

8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yes, that combo is likely to work well. Generally speaking, the Patriot Series speakes (Swamp Thang; Texas Heat;etc) are a little more mid-scooped (not ridiculously so though) with more lows and highs, and the Red Coat Series (Wizard; Governor; Tonker) are a mid more mids-emphasized. So they work together well because they kind of fill all of the frequency ranges.

9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

EF782BD5-47A4-41D4-8F03-A6BA6499ED95.jpeg 1C2B0595-3B6E-4E2C-9D66-A6C05B59CB83.jpeg
    They look pretty similar honestly. Top is the “American” voiced Swamp Thang, second is the “British” voiced Wizard. Swamp thing is a bit lower around 3k and rolls off the high end a bit earlier. Bass curve is real close, the swamp thang might be a hair tighter in bass response but overall they look like they’ll pair just fine

10. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Wow, you guys have some weird settings... Or maybe I do? Lol... I just had a look at my 5150 and it's currently at: pre gain slightly above 3 (boosted with od808), lows 8, mids 2, highs 6, reso 9, presence 8... Going through a Mesa oversize 4x12. I use a Sovtek in v1 (I DON'T like JJ's, too dark and not nearly as pissed off sounding as Sovtek).

Maybe I'm just crazy :shred:

11. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Yeah...my settings are pretty close to gnolls settings. Mesa OS as well.

You really can afford to crank bass and resonance as long as you use a boost pedal infront of the amp.
    And when you keep the highs down you can turn up the presence pretty high in order to get some edgy attack.
    My mids vary between 2 and 6 depending on the venue.

12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Nah, you ain't crazy. To be honest, it's pretty hard to screw-up dialing-in a good tone on a 5150. The EQ is not really that versatile, especially with the mids. Running your mids at "2" is not hugely different from running them at "7." I've only ever noticed my 6505s to sound mid-scooped if I run the mids at 1.5 or below. Above that, and there starts to be quite a bit of mids to work with.

The tubes you use in the preamp also greatly affect how you dial it in, and of course, tone is subjective. I've never tried a tube combination that sounds more pissed-off and HUGE as running JJ 5751s in V1 and the PI.

13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

:agreed:

I've always liked a massive "thump" on my palm mutes, and as long as it doesn't affect clarity, the more the merrier!:mf666:

I've found that boosting with an OD that has some control over bass cut really allows me to add low-end back in post-preamp with the amp's EQ and my EQ pedal in the effects loop. Resonance can also be at around 7 or 8 with no negative effects. Everything still sounds really clear, but massive. I've always preferred adding more treble if I need more bite though, as opposed to using the presence knob. In my experience, the presence knob is all but useless, and does nothing until you get to about 7 on the dial, and then gets eardrum-piercing very quickly past that. I leave mine at 5 and forget it. Horses of courses...:lol:

14. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Same here. I neuter my front end to get it as tight as possible. Gain at around 3. With the MH it likes 777 Res at 3/4 and presence at noon thru a Mesa OS. MXR M77 for rythm, OD808 for lead.