6 string pickup shootout. No bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 14, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

Finally got the amp back from the tech. I'll have the MCP afwayu demo up later tonight.

Kyle Jordan and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

What was the issue with the amp?

3. KnightBrolaire

tech said there were some cold solder joints (which I never saw) and that all of the tubes I installed tested way below what they should be at, so he put in some new power and preamp tubes. :shrug:

4. DudeManBrother

Shitty. That’s what I find too with most of the Boogies. I just touch up every damn joint I can find when they cut out like yours was. Also sucks about the new tubes being garbage. It would be nice if a decent modern tube tester was available in the $150 range. At least it’s sorted though

5. KnightBrolaire

mcp afwayu demo is up, either I'm going crazy or the tech didn't fix shit

6. DudeManBrother

Yeah it still shorting to ground somewhere. Something is barely brushing a ground path from the sound of it, or he missed the cracked solder joint. I’ve scratched my head on a few old Mesa’s trying to track this fault.

7. KnightBrolaire

I pulled apart the amp and saw some oxidizing connections on the input jack and a few other places but no cold or cracked solder joints..The tech gave me a 3 month warranty if I had any issues, so I might have to drop it off with him again :mad:

8. DudeManBrother

Yeah I refloat all of those. I’ve fixed most of them that way. I’ve never actually seen the cracks, but once I go through and float every browned spot, and the main ground that runs across the pots, it usually fixes the issue. Good thing it’s under warranty though. Let him sort it out haha

9. KnightBrolaire

I'm kind of pissed that he had the fucking amp for a month and didn't fix the main issue. It's only on the high gain channels which makes me think it's something to do with the pots or something.

10. DudeManBrother

Shitty. I bet it sat untouched for the whole month, and he finally pulled it out and looked at it for 1 hour.

I had a 50 cal once that cut the lead channel out completely. The clean worked perfectly, but when you pulled the pot for lead channel nothing would happen. I ended up touching up a bunch of solder joints, did a cap job, and replaced a few resistors that were getting overheated from being on the board, still didn’t fix it. Touched up the ground that runs across the pots and bam, worked like a champ. Same thing with a DC5; I hit that ground first and it fixed it.

It’s obviously not always the fix, but finding reliable schematics with accurate values for those old Boogies is difficult, so the issues can be a bitch to trace. And its stupid how tough those boards can be to get out haha.

11. KnightBrolaire

I just tested the amp in a different outlet to see if the voltage was a problem (which it shouldn't be, I used that outlet for years without any issues). I also tested another guitar through it and it's still getting the volume fade. Back to the fuckin tech it goes, he better fix this shit. :pissed:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.