6 string pickup shootout. No bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 14, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

got a deal on a dimarzio dominion so I installed it today.

Coryd likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on dominion bridge
    It's an excellent pickup for rhythm work and is tight/responsive enough for tech death or such but not so tight that you can't play other stuff like some doom/blues if you want.
    it's a bit thicker sounding than the illuminator and has more mids, but it's still a tight and relatively clear pickup. Lead work is totally viable with it, pinch harmonics are super easy to hit with it, chugs/palm mutes are tight and percussive. I put my guitar in G#F#BEG#C# (basically mastodon tuning scheme but lower) and every note was still clear through the mk4. the f30 and kemper also handled it really well. Low end is very responsive and tracks really well. mids are pretty snarly and the pickup is pretty aggressive sounding under high gain. It's not as cutting as say the d-sonic but the high end is definitely cutting through my rig/guitar. The high end isn't super warm.
    the cleans are pretty good and rolling off the volume knob cleans up the pickup quite well.
    The very mid centric voicing might not work with some rigs but damn does it work with a boogie.

BigViolin, Coryd and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

4. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Any plans to try the Darkstar ND from Entwistle? Really curious as to how it would stack up against the HDN

5. KnightBrolaire

nah, not really. I've got stacks of cheap pickups that I can't even get rid of already, don't need to add more to the pile :lol:

6. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

:lol: understandable

7. KnightBrolaire

if you're in the market for pickups, hit me up :D

8. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

Nice, I've got a Dominion on the way and your thoughts on it make me think it will work well for me, especially the comparsion to the Illuminator, which I have in a 7 and like.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

I was expecting the dominion to be thicker/muddier like the super distortion 3 (since mark from LoG doesn't exactly have the most cutting tone). I was very pleasantly surprised by it.

10. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on the guitarmory patriot set:
    bridge
    : This pickup rips. It's got a bigger low end, but it tracks really well and has an excellent chunk/percussive sound to chugs/trem picking. The midrange reminds me of the black winter bridge or impulse, where it has some snarl and some growl present instead of accentuating one area of the mids excessively. The high end is cutting but not too bright in my guitar/rig. Pinch harmonics are an absolute breeze, legato and smooth sounding sweeps are doable but not this pickup's forte imo. The patriot bridge excels at cutting/aggressive soloing.
    neck: It has a spanky kind of coil split/single coil feel to it that works really well for chicken pickin/funky rhythms. Sweeps/legato/lead work have a smooth kind of flute like quality almost like the dragonfire screamer neck. It's a very pleasant and musical sounding neck pickup. It doesn't seem to mesh with the bridge pickup volume wise though, and it needs a fair bit of gain to really saturate.

11. KnightBrolaire

Patriot bridge demo is up. Neck pickup will get a demo at a later time since it wasn't working correctly for filming.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

13. KnightBrolaire

current lineup:
    PRS metal \m/ bridge and dimarzio liquifire neck (currently installed)
    dominger rider bridge
    motor city underwound afwayu bridge
    duncan distortion bridge
    balaguer feral/evergreen set
    elysian hot modern set
    I'll post my thoughts on the metal/liquifire after I spend some more time with them in this guitar.

14. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on the PRS metal bridge/liquifire neck:
    The \m/etal is pretty high output with a good amount of bass so it sounds massive, but it's responsive enough to not flub out through my rig. The low end is tight/percussive enough that you can chug and trem pick with no problem on it. Pick harmonics spring from every note if you want them to. The mid range has a bit of snarl similar to say the nailbomb and works well for 70s/80s metal and even more modern stuff (boosting it gives it extra snarl to help cut through the mix). It's a bit too dense sounding for super technical riffing imo, but it more than holds up for most other genres I threw at it. Lead work is viable with it, but it'll be kind of cutting, so if you're really looking for a bridge pickup that's got smooth leads I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
    It really excels for big thick butt rock chords or doomy/sludgy stuff due to the slightly bigger low end. The midrange and high end offer enough cut to really get a great 80s metal/thrash tone too.
    Cleans are surprisingly good. The crunch tones are great for slide guitar/blues/some ac/dc or other classic rock. The high end is a bit bright in my rig, so I wouldn't really want to try this pickup in a brighter sounding guitar (it'd probably be icepicky). Rolling of the vol/tone knob helps with mitigating the brightness. It has good overall clarity though it slightly smears chords due to the thicker voicing. Controlling the bass could be a problem with some amps.

The liquifire is one of my favorite neck pickups next to the cold sweat. It's oh so smooth under high gain and gives me a nice round/liquidy tone when sweeping/doing legato/etc. It's warm through my boogies, but I would guess that in even darker amps or guitars it'd be considered muddy. The cleans are good for mellow jazzy stuff or if you need a warmer flute-like blues sound (ie eric johnson). It's got a fair amount of output since it holds up well against the \m/etal bridge. I find the two of them pair quite well and can cover a lot of ground if need be.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

PRS metal/liquifire demo is up. I'll have some extra clips up later in the week

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  16. KnightBrolaire

underwound motor city afwayu bridge is installed. Initial thoughts on it: the pickup has a beefy low end with great response/percussiveness. It's not super tight/stiff like the m6 or aftermath, but it's as least as tight on the low end as the black winter imo. there's a nice bloom to the low end when doing trem picking/chugs (which are very easy with this pickup). The midrange is growly, with some nailbomb like very mild wah vibes popping up on chords (it's not unpleasant like the juggernaut's wah voice is though). The high end is very cutting in this guitar, and the overall voice feels aggressive and BIGGG (think Jerry Cantrell's tone on Stone). It's a bit dense sounding for super technical stuff, but does well for most everything else I've tried besides super modern tones like Monuments or periphery stuff. Pinch harmonics fly off the fretboard with this pickup. Lead work is very viable and can range from a nice mellow almost flute like sound (if you roll of the vol/tone knobs a decent amount) to brash cutting Lynch esque leads. Clarity is excellent even in drop b or lower. Given the price point for the pickup, I'd say it more than competes with BKP or other boutique brands.

Strobe likes this.
  17. Ji Sung

Ji Sung SS.org Regular

Have you thought about trying Lollar Imperials?

18. KnightBrolaire

Not really, I have a backlog of pickups to get through already.