6 string pickup shootout. No bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I have a custom 5 in an ESP Horizon, and I love it! It's great for Killswitch Engage-type riffs with lots of mid-range crunch, tight but chugging bass etc. And I agree with you that it isn't high output at all.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

I thought maybe mine was defective since it was quite low output compared to most of the other pickups I've tried. Nothing wrong with it being lower output, I just was expecting it to be hotter than it was. The custom 5 and custom are pretty great pickups for metal, though they need a bit more tweaking than others I've tested before they really rip.

3. KnightBrolaire

current lineup:
    railhammer chisel
    bkp stockholm hp90
    Balaguer Feral/Evergreen set
    Elysian Hellfire set
    guitarmory atlas set
    guitarmory patriot set

4. KnightBrolaire

current lineup:
    railhammer chisel (currently installed)
    bkp stockholm hp90 (should have it by tomorrow, demo up by sun-mon if it's delivered on time)
    Balaguer Feral/Evergreen set
    Elysian Hellfire set
    guitarmory atlas set
    guitarmory patriot set
    slightly underwound motor city afwayu bridge pup

initial thoughts on railhammer chisel:
    pickup has plenty of clarity for drop b and this particular guitar/amp. output is high but not like say duncan distortion high. low end is big but still tight, works great for tight chugs/percussive trem picking and tracks really well for technical riffing. the mids give chords a kind of growl similar to the d-sonic or entwistle hdn. pinch harmonics are extremely easy with this pickup and can be coerced from basically any fret under high gain. the high end is present but not overwhelming through my setup. It's not exactly warm on the high end but it's not shrill either. The chisel works well for basically any metal subgenre, though I think the voicing is more suited towards anything with a preference for a thick sound like death metal (ie carcass/cannibal corpse) or sludgier mastodon/baroness esque riffs. lead work is easy with this pickup, though it's not going to give you a smooth sound under high gain.

kindsage likes this.
  5. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

So stoked to finally have an in depth review of this pickup!!
    You like this or the m6 more?
    Elysian still your favorite after trying all these pups?

6. KnightBrolaire

This is a very different feeling pickup from the m6. the m6 has a really stiff feel to it, which is why it's a fucking amazing rhythm pickup for metal, and is horrible for lead work. this pickup has a bit better cleans, isn't anywhere near as stiff feeling, and is pretty viable for lead work. The chisel is also a bit thicker sounding than the m6. The m6 has a really unique growling midrange that I haven't really found replicated in another pickup.

Elysians are still my favorite for ERGs, but there's so many good options for 6 strings, especially from the bunch that I've tested so far that it'd be easier to say which ones I don't like (parallel axis distortion, super distortion 3, ragnarok, entwistle nemesis). Granted, I still have to test the hellfires, and haven't tried most of elysian's 6 string lineup other than the vintage hot wind I have in my dc600 or the hot moderns in my jazzmaster.

7. KnightBrolaire

Railhammer Chisel video is up

8. KnightBrolaire

Initial thoughts on the stockholm hp90: Output feels relatively high. It can easily do metal from any subgenre, though the hum is annoying (it's not a lot but it's more than most of the humbuckers I've tested). It's surprisingly easy to get a good 80s metal tone like Maiden's the Trooper or Where eagles dare, or Sabbath's Heaven and hell/Crue's Livewire/Ratt's Out of the Cellar tones. The stockholm can djent, give you gojira/behemoth esque tones or pretty much anything you throw at it.
    Clarity is excellent even when I tune down to G#F#BEG#C# . The low end has a fast enough response that chugs/trem picking/palm mutes sound huge and tight. The snarling mids remind me of the black dog, they really make this pickup sound mean as hell under gain. The high end is present but not overly bright through my setup/guitar. Cleans are excellent and chimey. leads are easy enough on it, same with pinch harmonics.

9. KnightBrolaire

Stockholm HP90 vid is up.

10. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on elysian hellfires: they've got a lot of output but manage to stay quite clear no matter how much gain I throw at em. The bridge is very responsive and muscular, with tight percussive chugs that rival the m6, dsonic or black winter bridge. The bridge has a cutting sound that's perfect for death metal, etc due to the snarling midrange/upper mids. The closest approximation would be the d-sonic's midrange. The highs are present and offer extra cut without being overly bright through my setup/guitar. The bridge is nowhere near as stiff feeling as the m6, so it works well for lead work, especially if you want a more cutting solo sound. Sweeps are easy though not as smooth sounding as they are with the neck. Chugs/trem picking is a breeze with this pickup.
    The warmth and liquidy smoothness of the neck pickup makes it great for lead work like sweeps/legato, etc. The neck is bassier than the bridge pickup (partially due to location) and equally as responsive/tight. It can get an almost flute like quality depending on the riff played. Lows are big, mids are smooth and not spiky, the high end is warm but not muddy in my setup/guitar.
    Both pickups clean up well, with the neck offering warmer jazzy cleans if you roll off the volume knob in this guitar and the bridge offering brighter almost single coil like tones. both pickups together overwhelms the neck pickup and you end with a very slightly warmer version of the bridge pickup sound.
    If you're looking for a set of pickups that absolutely destroy anything in their path, these should be right up your alley.

Adam put real carbon fiber tops over the bobbins for me and they look so killer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]20180331_124735 by al b, on Flickr

rexbinary and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

Hellfire video is up.

12. KnightBrolaire

current lineup:
    balaguer feral/evergreen set
    guitarmory atlas set
    guitarmory patriot set
    dominger rider bridge
    bill lawrence l500xl bridge
    motor city afwayu (underwound)
    darkmoon nemesis bridge
    dimarzio illuminator bridge
    dimarzio imperium bridge
    duncan full shred bridge
    duncan sh16 59/custom hybrid
    bkp brute force bridge

13. KnightBrolaire

14. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

Any plans to do any Mojotones or the DiMarzio Imperium?

EDIT: Derp. Just saw the Imperium on your list. Looking forward to that as I love Dave's guitar tones with Revocation.

15. KnightBrolaire

yeah I'm looking into trying either the pw hornet or the black magic pickups. it'll be a while, gotta get through a pile of other pickups first :lol:

16. silverabyss

silverabyss

Your take on the hellfires sounds really appealing to me can’t wait for the vid

I have dragon fire screamers in my ec1k right now based on your recommendation

17. KnightBrolaire

I posted the hellfire video like 2 weeks ago :lol:
    Glad you like the screamers, I really love the neck pickup from them.

18. silverabyss

silverabyss

Whoops I thought it was coming after the stockholm video wow I'm dumb I didn't even scroll up to see it there embedded on the page :lol: :erk:

19. KnightBrolaire

thoughts on illuminator bridge:
    Muscular, responsive low end. It tracks really well, no flub, though I could see how some people find it thin with non-mesa amps. Chugs/trem picking is super easy with it. Mids are growly in my setup (kind of similar to the impulse or d-sonic). Highs are definitely present and this pickup fucking screams if you want it to. Pinch harmonics are super easy. it works for leads and sweeps but it's a bit harsh for sweeps imo. cleans are great, with a bit of high end chime.
    It works quite well for thrash/ black metal/iron maiden/hair metal and whatever else you want to throw at it. The overall voicing definitely reminds me of the d-sonic, but I prefer the more cutting tone that the d-sonic has.

Anyways here's the demo vid. Sorry about the flubs, I should have warmed up before shooting this.

20. KnightBrolaire