6 string pickup shootout. No bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 14, 2017.

1. capac

capac SS.org Regular

HD is pretty tamable IMO.

2. capac

capac SS.org Regular

HD is pretty tamable IMO.

3. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

Nice. I've wanted to try an HD for awhile now and finally ordered one through Nick a few days ago, really looking forward to it.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I think you'll dig it, it's a great sounding pickup.

5. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Couldn't agree more.

6. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on the duncan custom 5: I think this is the lowest output pickup that I've tested so far. The impulse neck pickup has more output than the custom 5. I have to really crank the gain and turn up my vol boost by about 5 db to get it to a level that I like. The plus side to this low of output is the clarity is excellent for every riff I threw at the custom 5. The pickup has a surprisingly spanky feel to it in this guitar. The high end is a tad bright for my taste. Chords have a nice meaty/chunky sound to them, with a bit of growl in the midrange as well. It's a surprisingly aggressive pickup once you get it boosted to an acceptable level. The tracking on trem picking and chugging is pretty quick. The overall voicing kind of reminds me of the black winter or Parallel axis distortion, where it has a hint of metallic character to individual notes, but not in an obnoxious way like the aftermath. The best way to describe the sound (when clean boosted) is think of Gojira's rhythm tone: big, mean, cutting and just a hint of that metallic flavor.
    I was definitely not expecting to like this pickup for metal, but it does surprisingly well for most subgenres imo. it works quite well for bluesy/jazzy riffing too. I quite like it for slide guitar.

Strobe and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

Custom 5 video is up. next up is the entwistle nemesis.

Ebony likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

change of plans, I'm swapping a ceramic mag into the custom 5 and testing that before the entwistle nemesis.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  9. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The Custom 5 isn't that low of output actually...it is a high output pickup. Putting a ceramic magnet in there won't change the output level but will turn it into a Custom.

10. KnightBrolaire

:shrug: I read the specs on Duncan's website, I know it's supposed to be high output, but compared to having the m6 or some of the other pickups I put in there it feels lower output.

11. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on duncan custom:
    bit more output than the custom 5, also has slightly more bass and high end. overall it retains a similar sound/feel to the custom 5.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on entwistle nemesis: I'm surprised that this pickup is relatively clear sounding given that a lot of the cheap pickups I've tried are horribly muddy. It's a higher output pickup for sure, but it cleans up decently. The lows are relatively tight and seem to track well when trem picking or chugging. There's a bump in the low end but not enough to make the pickup sound flubby. There is a hint of metallic tone like the parallel axis or custom 5 . The pickup seems to have a decent amount of high end in this guitar, though it's not harsh or overly bright on the higher strings/frets. The midrange is kind of snarly and gives this nice aggression to power chords and rhythm riffs.
    For the money this is a very solid pickup, easily comparable to anything duncan or dimarzio offers imo.

13. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Man are those things cheap. Pretty impressive.

14. KnightBrolaire

the nemesis sounds pretty damn good for the price too. kind of reminds me of the bkp blackhawk's low end but with a snarlier midrange and warmer high end.

15. KnightBrolaire

Nemesis demo is up, next up is the entwistle HDN.

16. KnightBrolaire

17. KnightBrolaire

Updated list of pickups I'm going to test:
    Entwistle HDN (currently in guitar)
    Warman quadrail
    Warman Dominator
    railhammer chisel
    Balaguer Feral/Evergreen
    Elysian Hellfire set
    guitarmory atlas set
    guitarmory patriot set
    suhr aldrich
    dimarzio evo
    bkp stockholm hp90
    bkp rebel yell
    bkp coldsweat bridge
    blk/tri yeti (if I can ever find one)

Initial thoughts on Entwistle HDN:
    This pickup has a neodymium magnet, relatively high output and a savage tone. It has a beefy yet quite percussive/tight low end similar to the d-sonic. The upper mids and decent high end give the pickup a great amount of cut. The sound when you hit power chords sounds like you always have a tube screamer turned on. Sharp, cutting and tiiight, with a little bit of a snarling midrange. It's not as though the midrange is obnoxiously upfront like say the juggernaut, though more like the nailbomb or d-sonic. It's a fucking mean sounding pickup, perfect for most hard rock or metal, though it works better for stuff like tech death/death metal than say doom. It has a hint of metallic character to individual notes. Chugs/trem picked notes are percussive/cutting even through a thicker/darker sounding amp like my boogie. pinch harmonics are ridiculously easy with this pickup. it works well for lead work, though it's not going to get you into super smooth liquidy solo territory, think more of a warren demartini or george lynch esque cutting solo.
    given how cheap the hdn and the nemesis are (seriously they ran me about 30 usd a piece) I'd say they're on par with the quality/sound of pickups I've tried from other more expensive brands like dimarzio/duncan/bkp. At that price point they're more than worth trying out.

18. KnightBrolaire

HDN demo is up.

19. KnightBrolaire

skipping the warman quadrail for now because I have to fix the mounting bracket holes. warman destroyer is installed already.

20. KnightBrolaire

Warman Destroyer thoughts:
    a solid and affordable choice for most metal genres. Has pretty good cleans. The low end is big, but tight enough for good trem picking/chug response, though it's not exceptionally tight feeling like say the black winter, m6, holy diver, dsonic or the hdn. There seems to be a bump in the mids somewhere that gives it a rawer voicing kind of like the nailbomb or black dog, but with more upper mids (which adds to the aggression). The high end is present but not spiky in this guitar/setup. Clarity is great across the board. Works quite well for more old school rock, metal and death metal tones ie Toto, Ram Jam, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Ratt, Morbid Angel, though it definitely works for Devildriver/Lamb of God/Behemoth/Gojira/Mastodon style riffs. Wouldn't be my first choice for periphery/tesseract esque riffs though. lead work is totally viable on this pickup, though it's not going to give you sweet mellow jazz tones unless you roll off your volume/tone knobs quite a bit.

Railhammer chisel is up next!