28" or 29" for high E on multiscale?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Gmork, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Getting a multiscale 8 built and trying to figue out the perfect mild fan for me. Ive got an ibanez ironlabel 8 (non fanned) now which i believe is 27".

I find the frets to be too small up past the 14th fret and just dont have room. Is there any reason i SHOULDNT make my new fanned have 28" or even 29" on the high E to give me a bit more space while 30" on the low 8th string. ???

Btw im more of a rhythm player with just a little bit of sweepy noodling. Mostly low brutal technical type stuff.

My brain is telling me that would be perfect (FOR ME). Any downfall to a 28" high E?
    Would be thankful for any insight from you folks

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Adding 1" to the overall scale is going to make your 27" scale 14th fret feel a tiny bit narrower than the 12th fret. So, you're really not giving yourself much more "room".

3. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

But my thinking is in fact correct that it will give more room ie more fret space? Even if just slightly.
    And if the high E was 29"? Even a bit MORE "room/space" right?

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yes, the longer the scale the wider the fret spacing. But, the amount of added space is fairly negligible unless you're making a big jump in scale.

For about every inch you add, move two frets down the neck of your guitar. That will show you how much room you're adding (approximately).

So if you take your 27" scale guitar, fret the 12th fret. That's what the 14th fret of a 28" scale guitar feels like.

Gmork likes this.
  5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Thanks max. Just checking that theres no inherent problems with having the higher strings at that long of scale.

Considering my LOVE of lowend and rhythm playing, wanting more space at the top frets and wanting just a mild fan ive dedecided on 29"-30" fan with parallel near 7th.

Thanks again

6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Do keep in mind that the nut on a 30" will be 3" further away than on another guitar with a 27" scale, all else being equal. That's a huge determination for me on comfort with chording down low, even more so than string tension. Your upper-most fret will be in the same place, but the lower you go, the further out your target fret will be.

7. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

if you want the max amount of room, just get a straight 30" scale. i have an agile that's straight 30" and the high E is fine in both tone and feel. if you want a slinkier string, just throw a .008 or .007 on there and it will be perfect.

Gmork likes this.
  8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

It's actually less than Max said - a 28.625" scale guitar is just one fret more than 27" , so the 12th fret of a 28.625 feels like the 13th fret of a 27". Not much difference at all!
    Downsides - bending a full tone is pushing the boundary of what is safe on 29". It's quite safe on 28".
    Also, unless you like high tension, you will be limited to a small gauge, which can sound thin on a long scale. At 29" even a 9 is pushing into tight territory. It will feel tighter than a 10 does on 25.5, but not as tight as an 11. At 28 the 009 is a little looser than a 10 on 25.5.
    I would go 28 personally if your only consideration is fret spacing, the difference is negligible between 28 and 29- less than one fret different!

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

If you can play it then any scale is fine. But you’ll run into problems getting strings that are stable all the time.