2018 Blackmachine B6 Review + Resonance test

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Velokki, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

Yeah, there is no successful B6 flipping going on since they are readily available both used and new, yet people still need to chime in claiming a good review is some way to make money. Everybody knows what they go for. It's not a mystery.

He already sold the guitar as was stated right in the original post. How is this a pump and dump?

2. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

This. The hype around this things has just been otherworldly and for reasons we are all too familiar with. A $3-4000 guitar should be really fucking awesome, doesn't make them magically worth 3-7 more.

3. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I'm not quite sure that follows as straightforwardly as you think it does.

4. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

They're not though worth 3-7 more though. They go for 3 to 4k every time. Every now and then someone says they have an early "Doug built" B6 up for sale at an especially high price and it doesn't sell for that price. These are the only people who are using that angle and they are free to believe what they want even if they are incorrect. Let the buyer beware. People who are hip to these things (should) know enough about them know there are no "Doug built" B6's or whatever and that the asking price is too high.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Think of when you're doing really fast triplets where the stop and start is instant cause of a tight gate. That's what it feels like. A few people notice it straight away when they play it and then go back to a different guitar. That's not always a good thing though, it can get thin and snappy so it's very unsuitable for certain tones and riffs/leads.

A lot of these things is how it feels when you play it but that might not translate in a recording. A really resonant guitar feels different to play. One of my friends plays classical and doesn't like electric but he really enjoyed playing my Ibby because of how he could feel it more when he played. It responded more like his acoustics. So it's more about how it feels and responds and respond when you play it which means a lot to the player but doesn't mean it won't just sound like every other guitar on a recording.

Velokki and blacai like this.
  6. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

ok, I see, because in fact, it was that different feeling the only thing I noticed with my most resonant guitar (a strandberg) and I didn't like it at all.

7. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

And what about that evertune LTD ? :p

8. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Haha, what about it? Such a great workhorse, that one. Great guitar, no question. Bang for the buck in that is really surreal - I got it for 650€ brand new!

Gonna swap some Fluences in soon to replace the 81/85 set.

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  9. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

I have an earlier version of that LTD (gloss black, rosewood board) and agree, it's a killer workhorse guitar. I just replaced the stock EMG's with Fluence Moderns, and I'm not all that thrilled. It's fun to have the 2 voicings, but that's about it. I'd say it sounds a touch different than the EMG's, but not necessarily better. YMMV.

I think I'm gonna tear it all out and try some Black Winters.

Alex79 and Velokki like this.
  10. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

I have maybe noticed this "gate" thingy you say with one of my previous guitars. The response was instant but the tone was thin as heck. Snappy to a certain extent is nice tho which my neck thru is missing, hence lacking attack. However it sounds really full and meaty.

I'm on the resonance train (choo choo mofos!) and agree with your acoustic friend, they feel alive and different to play, that's enough for me. I'm happy to play one even unplugged most of the time.

11. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Right... I'll probably have to test the Fluences properly before taking the effort to swap them in!

Meeotch likes this.
  12. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

"...after playing a Blackmachine, all other guitars feel like they have “latency” to them."

Placebo/nocebo effect is strong.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  13. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Not really :) The guitar is just very immediate and resonant. You really do feel every note you play. Some people won't even like it, some don't care. But I really like it when an oddly slim electric guitar just sings against my hand and body :)

P.S. I honestly can't believe how many people have this inherently negative attitude towards these guitars. It's also ironic that most of the people who take their time to spread negativity around these instruments, are the very same people who always joke about people not having played them. Many of these people seem to know that a certain type of guitar performs equally or better, and they KNOW that a BM can't be that special... when they haven't played one.

[​IMG]

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

you keep putting up this strawman
    the people that have the most well reasoned responses and actually want to talk to you about it have all owned one.

yet you ignore them.

meh.

15. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Sorry if I was rude, what responses/point did I ignore?

16. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I'm sure it does play and sound great. But the only time I've experienced latency is from amp sims, not guitars, so forgive me if I'm more than a bit skeptical of that claim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.