2018 Blackmachine B6 Review + Resonance test

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Velokki, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I did play a handmade Tele next to it. Acoustically it was quite loud, but didn't sound nearly as "full", you know? Sounded kinda boxy and missing some body. Then again, it is finished with paint - a custom-shop grade, natural Tele would've probably been a more serious contender. The guitar was in a different tuning, so didn't take a video of it for the resonance test.

I've played a lot of custom shop instruments, and none have matched this kind of resonance. Perhaps I've not played the best of the best, then.

2. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I'm hearing fixed bridge plus new strings. Next.

3. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

Great review, resonance test was unexpected but appreciated all the same!

Velokki likes this.
  4. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Really appreciate that! Thanks.

Hollowway likes this.
  5. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

That thing about the neck being so easy to bend sounds like it would be a nightmare guitar for me. All of my guitars must have super stable necks, as I put too much pressure on them, and that tuning wobble drives me mad!
    The downside is that you loose some resonance of course with super stable woods!

Velokki likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

7. Bastian93

Bastian93 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the well writen review and the interesting resonance test video.

I didn´t even know that Feline Guitars builds the Blackmachine guitars now, but tbh i did not follow the Blackmachine hype that much as I wasn´t in the market for one.
    Seems most comments about the BM design are either "BM=best"-hype or the complete opposite of that, never really understood that. :argue:

But I guess it´s the same for other guitars as well, because good sound and tone is just different for everybody.

Wolfhorsky and Velokki like this.
  8. crackout

crackout The King In Yellow

Yes, that is one of the main flaws of these guitars. The other being the lack of a belly cut. Both deal breakers for me.
    That's why I built them myself and added these ergonomics.

steinmetzify, Wolfhorsky and Velokki like this.
  9. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

This
    +lack of paint and bolt on construction to some extent

At some point I had 2 ESP Eclipses, one with thick clearcoat over paint and another with a relatively thin matte finish and they exibited the same behaviour - acoustically one with thinner finish was huge compared to the other. However plugged in they both sounded almost the same

10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The latency thing I'd call directness or quickness to a note, some people use attack but that's not a good describing word since it means several things. I've a US Schecter with the same specs as a B6 and it has the same quickness to a note you are describing, Doug tried mine and another one saying they were almost B6 7 strings tonewise. I'd attribute it to the bolt-on construction and swamp ash body, it feels like it has a noise gate on top of it so notes are super punchy but don't bleed out into the next as much as my other guitars.

11. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

In 2019 even wood has a noise gate! Glad I don't need ISP Decimator anymore. Just kidding..

Good review OP, thanks. The only thing that bothered was the picking hand motion :D Each beat(1-2-3-4) should have a downstroke that brings the flow to it.

12. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Sorry if my question is stupid... but why is important that a electric guitar is "resonant". Does it have anything to do with the "tone wood magic thing"?
    I mean, with such high output pickups and levels of distortion what does a "resonant guitar" bring tothe table?

My most expensive guitar is a FGN LS 30(~2k€)and I have played and owned some Mayones Regius/Strandberg and what I would describe as resonant was not exactly something I would like to have :/

13. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

don't forget that it was the only hardtail bridge there and it sounded like the action was substantially higher than all the other guitars, especially the WM

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Funny how people restarting these topics always have a financial interest in doing so...

That aside, "resonance" is meaningless, what's the big deal about how an electric instrument sounds like unplugged ? It's like you'd rate a microwave by it's arerodynamic coefficient.

15. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Yeah I'm wondering how big of a profit was made flipping it.

16. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Agreed, that's what it sounded like. But not the reality here. Just took a look at the WM's action and I'd say it's higher than the BMs. When I pluck through those chords on the BM after the 1:00 min mark, you can hear how almost all strings are having a slight buzz, it's really on the verge of being too low. Definitely not higher than the others.
    The WM-526s are notorious for being just dead wet planks, soaked in coats of paint. They're super dead. (The backstory is that because of the closing of the Washburn Custom Shop, they didn't have nearly enough time to let the guitars dry properly)
    In the video, you're not hearing the notes dying out because of too low an action, it's because the guitar is as resonant as rubber and sustains like a snare drum. Love it to bits because of playability and looks, but it's really dead.

Sorry, what do you mean by that?

17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Good question. And just like who cares about sustain on electric instruments you’ll be run out of town for asking.

The answer is none tho.

blacai likes this.
  18. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I appreciate the effort but without going all Mythbusters and building a machine that ensures that each strum is done with the same energy, it’s hard to put much merit in the results. And then there’s also the fact that I don’t know what the results would prove even if it was done scientifically—since “most acoustically resonant electric guitar” isn’t really a valuable measure IMO. That said, it was 100% worth watching for the WM-526 sighting.

narad and Velokki like this.
  19. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Actually I slabbed the already-thin design of the B6 in half, and effectively sold two guitars. The first was sold for 4K to Samsung, they said they're using it as reference for their new Smart TVs. Not sure they understood what they were buying.

The second was sold to Muhammed Suicmez to track the new Necrophagist record. So yeah, don't hold your breath...

I took a loss. And there are new ones in stock at Feline, if you're interested :)

Azarea likes this.
  20. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

My understanding (which could well be wrong!) is that, since a solidbody electric doesn't have a soundboard, what you're hearing when you strum it acoustically isn't the vibration of the body (like it is on an acoustic) but rather the vibration of the strings themselves, which are what the pickups are picking up. That said, I don't know if this still applies to super-chambered guitars, since a lot of those are moving towards semi-hollow territory, where you definitely hear the wood vibrate if you strum it acoustically...

Most of the "unplugged sound doesn't matter" arguments I've read would also mean a hollow body and a solid body would have the same sound when plugged in if they used the same electronics, which we all know isn't true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.